Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Cold weather shooting

I am recently got a dSLR, d70s, and its that time of year where its starting to get cooler and maybe even start snowing. I was just wondering if there are anythings that I should avoid, be careful of, or watch for if I do any shooting out in the colder weather (moisture, sudden changes of temp, too cold temps). I am a skier and would like to be able to do some shots of that or other winter/snow shots, but don't want to end up wrecking my camera or lenses, or having shots not turn out. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance.

Phil

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Cold weather shooting

You'll need to keep it dry for one. I've seen do it yourself covers made out of large ziplock backs where a hole is cut out appoximately the diameter of the lens with enough extra so that it can be tucked under a filter screwed onto the lens and then taped off to make a seal.
    You can buy weather covers as well. I'm not sure but I think the company that makes them is called aquapac which are 100% waterproof. That may be overkill but there's other options that are more like rain and snow covers.

Also make sure your camera is at least in a ziploc when you move between cold and warm environments as condensation will be a factor.

Then get yourself extra batteries. Cold batteries die fast. Have spares and keep them close to your body to keep them warm.

Yes I'm sure someone is thinking what the heck does this guy know about shooting in the cold he lives in San Diego. Well, we do have mountains and this past winter we had several feet of snow down to about 3,000 ft ASL. I myself had to make a cover from a large ziploc bag. I even slept with my batteries in my sleeping bag with me.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    You'll need to keep it dry for one. I've seen do it yourself covers made out of large ziplock backs where a hole is cut out appoximately the diameter of the lens with enough extra so that it can be tucked under a filter screwed onto the lens and then taped off to make a seal.
    You can buy weather covers as well. I'm not sure but I think the company that makes them is called aquapac which are 100% waterproof. That may be overkill but there's other options that are more like rain and snow covers.

Also make sure your camera is at least in a ziploc when you move between cold and warm environments as condensation will be a factor.

Then get yourself extra batteries. Cold batteries die fast. Have spares and keep them close to your body to keep them warm.

Yes I'm sure someone is thinking what the heck does this guy know about shooting in the cold he lives in San Diego. Well, we do have mountains and this past winter we had several feet of snow down to about 3,000 ft ASL. I myself had to make a cover from a large ziploc bag. I even slept with my batteries in my sleeping bag with me.
    If you are skiing it's not all that cold! The biggest thing to worry about is condensation. As mentioned, keep your camera/lenses in baggies and let them come to the same temperature before taking them out of the bags.

Batteries do die more quickly but come back again when warmed up. Two batteries should be more than enough. If a battery starts to get weak, exchange it with the other and put the cold one in a warm inside pocket. Switch again as needed.

Skiing might damage the camera if you drop it in the snow. If you aren't feeling lucky, get a protective case for it. Snow itself won't do much, I've used my leaky Rebel (digital and film) in the falling snow lots of times without problems. Just wipe it off when you are done shooting.

Try to getgood shots and have fun! Winter is a great time for photography.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I do cross country skiing, often in 20 below Celcius with a wind chill and even once got lost and was out for 8 hours. I never once had a problem with digital cameras due to the cold temperatures although you certainly would not want to fall into deep snow or onto hard ice packed snow, while carrying them. Moisture was only a minor problem after I got back into the warm cabin.

Ronnoco

Thread Information