Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

close-up filters vs macro lens

I've been trying to use the kit lenses that I have to do close up macro-like photos but they just are not sharp enough. I have a Olympus E-510 with the two kit lenses (14-42mm & 40-150mm).

Now aside from splurging on the Olympus 50mm F2.0 macro lens, I have heard that the close-up filters are a good substitute, but I would like some feedback on this.

thanks
    ------
    stuart

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
    - Marcel Proust

Re: close-up filters vs macro lens

Well, that would depend on how close up your current lens do. If they aren't a 1:4 macro magnification or better (which I don't think they are) then it won't do so well. It will also eliminate the infinite focal distance and clip some focal distance on the end. You also may want something a little more telephoto than 50mm so you don't have to have the camera an inch away from the subject.

*edit - looked up the zuiko 40-150, its got a 1:7 magnification. Those macro filters will bring you closer, but won't give you true macro.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Try some Kenko extension tubes instead.
    Much cheaper than a lens, nothing in front of your glass to degrade image quality.
    Here's a write up sticky by Loupey from the Nature and Wildlife forum.
    Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hi!

I have the E510, and I had the kit lenses. I also have the 50/2, and I shoot mostly macros. I would say I'm uniquely qualified to make suggestions :thumbsup:

for the 40-150 you could go two ways - the Sony VCL-M3358 or the Zuiko extension tube EX-25. Both will essentially do the same thing, the sony for $50 and the EX-25 for around $100.

The EX-25 has the added advantage of being compatible with any 4/3 lens so you can use it with the 50-200 or 50/2 should you upgrade. The sony close-up lens is very high quality and will fit the 58mm thread on the kit lenses. Both will get you MUCH closer.

Or get the 50/2. You won't regret it.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    Hi!

I have the E510, and I had the kit lenses. I also have the 50/2, and I shoot mostly macros. I would say I'm uniquely qualified to make suggestions :thumbsup:

for the 40-150 you could go two ways - the Sony VCL-M3358 or the Zuiko extension tube EX-25. Both will essentially do the same thing, the sony for $50 and the EX-25 for around $100.

The EX-25 has the added advantage of being compatible with any 4/3 lens so you can use it with the 50-200 or 50/2 should you upgrade. The sony close-up lens is very high quality and will fit the 58mm thread on the kit lenses. Both will get you MUCH closer.

Or get the 50/2. You won't regret it.
    And there's another close-up lens that I found: Canon - USA 58mm Close-Up Lens 500D. It goes for about $90.

Although, with the EX-25 at $100+ or the close-up lens for $50 - 90, I'm really tempted to get the 50mm F2.0 macro. The cost is only about $400. Dang, I'm wishing that I had gotten just the E-510 body and this lens instead of the 2 kit lenses.....oh well. Like I said, once I am employed again, I'll think about getting this as a celebration present to myself.
    ------
    stuart

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
    - Marcel Proust

As I said before, you won't regret the 50/2. It's really the greatest lens ever made. If you're regretting the kit lenses, sell them to raise $175 of the cost for the 50/2 I know I only use the standard zoom range (14-42, for instance) as a 12mm prime :crazy: and I think I put the 40-150 on the camera twice, decided it was too short, and sent it to ebay

The canon 500d is a nice close-up lens also but it runs twice what the sony does and only increases your magnification half as much.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information