Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Cleaning my DSLR

Hi guys...i have had this Nikon D50 for about 2 months now and i noticed that i have this tiny black spot when im taking pictures on the right side.
    I thought....easy clean right? Its probably only a spec of dust.
    I take off the lens and i notice that its on the Mirror thing in my DSLR Camera, it wont come off. Seems to be stuck there good, maybe hardened? Did not remember being there when i first bought it.
    I didn't scratch it or force it out, because im not too sure on how sensitive that mirror piece is. Now there is a tiny black smudge on every picture i take, hard to tell but its there.
    What can i do to take that off? any suggestions? thanks..

Peter

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Cleaning my DSLR

If the spec is showing up in your photos, it's on your sensor, not your mirror. I have had really good success using a rocket blower like this to blow the dust off of the sensor. If that doesn't work, there are other products designed to clean the sensor, but I have never used them. Don't use compressed air from a can!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    If the spec is showing up in your photos, it's on your sensor, not your mirror. I have had really good success using a rocket blower like this to blow the dust off of the sensor. If that doesn't work, there are other products designed to clean the sensor, but I have never used them. Don't use compressed air from a can!!

i dont think the spec of dust is on the sensor...there is an actual water drop looking thing on the mirror itself and it will not come off with blowing or dusting. Its pretty much stuck on the mirror. I havent tried to force it out because i dont know how sensitive the mirror is...
    what shall i do?

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by petershin_95
    i dont think the spec of dust is on the sensor...there is an actual water drop looking thing on the mirror itself and it will not come off with blowing or dusting. Its pretty much stuck on the mirror. I havent tried to force it out because i dont know how sensitive the mirror is...
    what shall i do?
    Then you must have both a dirty mirror and a dirty sensor. A dirty mirror won't affect the pictures and is probably best left alone unless it's really apparent and bothersome when you look through the viewfinder. With the sensor I prefer the blowers as well. I would be hesitant to use anything that physically comes in contact with the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Then you must have both a dirty mirror and a dirty sensor. A dirty mirror won't affect the pictures and is probably best left alone unless it's really apparent and bothersome when you look through the viewfinder. With the sensor I prefer the blowers as well. I would be hesitant to use anything that physically comes in contact with the sensor.

I see.... when looking through the viewfinder, i do see this black spot. On the mirror there is something hardened and it is very annoying, but i can see a tiny black smudge on the pictures i take.
    So there is no way on getting it off?
    where is the sensor located?
    sorry for so many questions.....

Thanks.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The mirror is sensitive, easy to scratch with a cloth, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Same for the focussing screen, that doesn't affect the photo either.

The sensor is behind the shutter, and you need to use the sensor cleaning menu option to get at it - at least that's how I do it on my Canon.
    Unless you are silling to accept perhaps having to replace the sensor, don't try to clean it in any way other than blowing air in with a hand blower.

Don't use compressed air.
    Hold the camera with lens mount down and blow air up into the body.

I had a problem on my 1D where even using the hand blower it fired a HUGE blob of grot into the camera that stuck to sensor and wouldn't come off.
    It's going to go in to Canon for a wash ans brush up.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

you have a rig worth a lot of money. just as with a car it needs to be "tuned up" on occasion. this is one.

take it to a certified nikon repair service(they can be located in the phone in your area) and get it cleaned. i know you can find one as i live in california too.

the alternative is a more expensive repair or replacement after you get done "fixing it"

Quote Originally Posted by terryger
    don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

you have a rig worth a lot of money. just as with a car it needs to be "tuned up" on occasion. this is one.

take it to a certified nikon repair service(they can be located in the phone in your area) and get it cleaned. i know you can find one as i live in california too.

the alternative is a more expensive repair or replacement after you get done "fixing it"
    ok thanx guys for all the help!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you didn't know, the spot on your mirror doesn't affect the pictures because the mirror is there to reflect the image into the veiw finder and flips up when the actual picture is taken to allow the light to get to the sensor.

Thread Information