cleaning

Printable View

• 04-04-2006, 09:56 PM
    pmlbowt
    cleaning
    I couldn't find much information about cleaning a camera... I have a dslr with 2 lenses, what do you suggest I use for cleaning? Is there a kit or do I buy individual things for cleaning or what?

thanks
  • 04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
    Anbesol
    Re: cleaning
    cleaning what? the physical body? the image sensor? or the lens? as far as the lens goes, microfiber cloth. the image sensor - a CCD brush (i assume it'll work with CMOS too, but dont just take my word for it), as for the physical body, hmm... i dunno - a wet paper towel i suppose, if its magnesium alloy....
  • 04-05-2006, 06:59 PM
    Lionheart
    Re: cleaning
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmlbowt
    I couldn't find much information about cleaning a camera... I have a dslr with 2 lenses, what do you suggest I use for cleaning? Is there a kit or do I buy individual things for cleaning or what?

thanks

Not sure about ready to go kits...Here's how I maintain the five DSLR's we have:
    Body-lightly dampened cloth if absolutely needed, a damp q-tip if it's just some spot areas
    Canned air (use upright and very carefully) or if you have access to an air compressor and an airbrush (or a dental office :D ) to lightly dust the seams and crevices free of dust.
    Sensor-this is if you're brave-although the sensor is actually protected by a filter-dry air lightly blown from at least 6 inches with a vacuum source near the lens mount to capture flying dust particles. If you have 4x or higher magnifying loops use them to check the sensor for particles on the sensor. Another way is to shoot (with a lens) a blank white piece of paper, view on your favorite high res monitor and look for the telltale splotches that say "dirt on sensor".
    Thats pretty much it for how I do it. I never physically touch the sensor with anything.
    Hope that helps.
    Leon:)