Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon D80 w/ 18-200vr or Canon 40D w/ 28-135is?

I am planning on buying a digital slr soon after selling some stuff I have. I was all set on buying the nikon d80 w/ the 18-135mm lens until reading reviews about the nikon 18-200mm vr lens. So I decided to spend the extra money on that lens instead. After looking into the canon 40d a little more there are some features that I would enjoy as well.

The nikon is less expensive for the bundle by about 20 bucks but I already have a fast 4gb sd card for it. The lens has a much better zoom as well.

The canon has a metal body that is weather and dust resistant. It also can take captures at 6.5fps while the nikon only does 3fps.

The zoom is quite a big deal for me, that 18-200mm lens is just such a universal lens.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions?

Re: Nikon D80 w/ 18-200vr or Canon 40D w/ 28-135is?

I owned the 18-200 for about 24 hours before returning it.......that isn't to say that it's a fantastic lens though! I was very impressed with it and it's capabilities are probably unmatched in terms of the variety of situations it can shoot. I only got the 17-55/2.8 because I knew that for me, being obsessive compulsive about quality, it was worth the price.

Are you ever going to be taking sports photography? If not, than the higher speed of the 40D won't really matter....sure, it's nice for bracketing, but it really isn't necessary.

In the end, just go play with both of them and see which one you are more comfortable with. You'll get great pictures with either. It's all about which camera gets out of your way the most. And you can't possibly go wrong with the 18-200 VR. Revolutionary lens.
    Visit My DeviantArt Gallery
    Nikon D300 / 17-55 2.8
    Sometimes even Canon lovers cheat.....

Hm.. IMHO, if you're looking for a better range of lens, i think you should buy the Nikon D80 with 18-200mm VR. if you compare the lens itself. 18-200 has a better telephoto than 17-85mm IS. Better zoom might be useful for taking candid potrait photo (my favourite one, he5)

But if wide range lens isn't your first priority, i think 40D is good, since 40D has LCD live-view. 6.5 fps which might be very useful if you're going to use your camera for sports photography. Both of the camera will serve you well for sure

For the record, I don't understand people's obsession with LiveView.....I never use it and don't really understand why anyone would, lol. You can't even focus in it!
    Nikon D300 / 17-55 2.8

Thanks for the input guys, i am still not sure what i want to do. What is the deal with the live view? It sounds iust like the lcd on the back of a p&s but I have read much on it. What are the chances of a d90 coming out in the next couple months and any rumors on specs? Anome else have an opponion here? Thanks

It's like the view on the back of a P&S but since you can't focus while using it (the mirror is up in order for liveview to work), it's basically useless. You won't end up using it much.

I'd say go with the better lens and get the Nikon.
    Nikon D300 / 17-55 2.8

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Well, the 40D has mirror-drop AF but that is disruptive and not suitable for many subjects.

awboy, your D300 has very versatile live view, thanks to the much higher resolution LCD that makes it easier to judge critical focus, and the addition of both mirror drop and contrast detection autofocus in live view.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Go Canon.
    Better autofucus and color balance.

also I would avoid such a large ranging zoom.
    you would be better with a Wide zoom say 18-35 or so -and a 70-200 telo lens.
    then pick up a 50mm1.8 for low light and you are set.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awboy
    It's like the view on the back of a P&S but since you can't focus while using it (the mirror is up in order for liveview to work), it's basically useless. You won't end up using it much.
    There is a little thing called a focus ring still found on all lenses. And it works in conjunction with the Live View feature
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Welcome to the forum! I would just like to say that I have the Nikon D80 and the 18-200VR lens you are considering. I am very impressed and very happy with my choice and would recommend it highly, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What a strange package

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTMAN
    I am planning on buying a digital slr soon after selling some stuff I have. I was all set on buying the nikon d80 w/ the 18-135mm lens until reading reviews about the nikon 18-200mm vr lens. So I decided to spend the extra money on that lens instead. After looking into the canon 40d a little more there are some features that I would enjoy as well.

The nikon is less expensive for the bundle by about 20 bucks but I already have a fast 4gb sd card for it. The lens has a much better zoom as well.

The canon has a metal body that is weather and dust resistant. It also can take captures at 6.5fps while the nikon only does 3fps.

The zoom is quite a big deal for me, that 18-200mm lens is just such a universal lens.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions?
    The Canon 40D with 28-135 looks like a really strange combination. The 28-135 was designed in the film days. Even with film it was not a brilliant performer. I have never seen a test of it with a very demanding sensor like the one on the 40D. Plus the range is all wrong - it's the equivalent of a 45-215 in film terms on the 40D.

The Nikon 18-200 is latest technology, perfectly matched to the digital sensor of the D80/D200 (I have one). The D80 body is nice though it's not in the same class as the semi-pro 40D. I would expect Nikon to update the D80 in 2008 with some components from the D300.

You have the choice between a proper combination (D80+18-200) or a combination where you pay for the camera and the lens is thrown in for free to make space in the warehouse.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks for the replies, the other kit lens I was looking at with the 40d was their 17-85is. Obviously I have yet to make up my mind, I have awhile to pick but I am ready to have one now haha.

17-85 makes more sense with the 40D

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTMAN
    Thanks for the replies, the other kit lens I was looking at with the 40d was their 17-85is. Obviously I have yet to make up my mind, I have awhile to pick but I am ready to have one now haha.
    The 17-85IS on the 40D is the equivalent of the 28-135 on a film camera. It makes much more sense as a general-purpose lens. It's still not a brilliant performer (read the reviews on this site) but at least it covers a useful range from wide-angle to moderate telephoto. However I still think that the D80+18-200 is a more useful package unless you really need 6 frames/sec, go out regularly in wet conditions, etc.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information