Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon Rebel XT - white balance questions

Hello all - I was wondering if you could give me some pointers. I have a Rebel XT and am using a 28-135 IS lens w/ UV filter and have been taking quite a few landscape shots in AZ and NM recently. I've been having trouble keeping my shots from being "white-washed" with all the sunlight unless it is early morning or late evening. I've tried using the "sun" setting and also incorporating a polarizer but I'm still having trouble. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to best keep landscape shots from being white-washed? Should I be using a custom white balance setting? Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Canon Rebel XT - white balance questions

Hi Crazy Carl,

It sounds more like you're having an exposure issue than white balance issue unless you're also getting major color problems in the areas that aren't white washed.

Could you post some sample pictures?

It sounds to me like you're overexposing the scene. You may also be getting lens flare and ghosting.

What metering mode are you using? Have you tried shooting in any of the non-full-auto modes? (i.e. P, Av, Tv, M)
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

deckcadet,

You may be correct - I'm certainly not an expert. What settings would you suggest? Is there a way in Photoshop to attempt to correct this after the fact? Thanks for your reply. I'll attach a sample later after I resize it for the forum.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Overexposure is unfortunately very difficult to correct for and if you've shot JPEG instead of RAW it's even worse. I'll reserve judgement until I see the images though. It may be something else entirely.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    You may also be getting lens flare and ghosting.
    If this is the case, you will also want to remove that UV filter. You really don't need it anyway and it can cause all sorts of problems such as this. However, I agree it sounds like an exposure and DR problem.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

On a tripod

Pick a midtone in the sky expose for that. Take one picture. The sky will look great the ground will look extremely dark.

Pick a midtone on the ground and expose for that. Take one picture. The ground will look great the sky will burn out to white.

Make the two shots two layers in photoshop with the correctly exposed sky on top. Erase the underexposed ground to reveal the correctly exposed ground below.

Alternatively buy a set of Neutral Density graduated filters and learn how to use them to balance the brightness of the sky vs ground so your cameras dynamic range can expose the whole scene correctly.

Both solutions are about the same difficulty.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Thread Information