Canon XTi--Versatile Lens

Printable View

• 06-23-2007, 03:43 PM
    Hanoian
    Canon XTi--Versatile Lens
    Hi there,

I have a Rebel XTi with the EFS 18-55mm kit lens. I would like to upgrade to a better lens, but I'm lost. I would like something versatile that will allow me to shoot high quality landscapes, portraits, indoor, and outdoor photography (including some close-ups of food, etc.), but I will not really be using my camera to shoot "everyday" family shots, etc. It's more for learning serious photography, so I need a lens that will allow me to experiment with different techniques and travel photography. Can anyone recommend a moderately priced lens? I am looking to spend no more than $500 right now.

Thanks!
  • 06-23-2007, 07:23 PM
    Muddy Beast
    Re: Canon XTi--Versatile Lens
    there are litterally 100's of lenses out there that fit your needs. What you havent explained though, which are really important, is what sort of zoom are you looking for? What sort of light situations will you be shooting in? Do you want a traditional photos, or something unique with a wide angle or fish-eye lens? Where do you plan on going with photography, maybe you want something that will be good to use even when/if you become a pro?

You really need to take a step back, do some reading, and figure out what it is you want to do. Go threw galleries, look at pictures you like and think you may take similar pictures of and figure out what sort of lenses they are using. Work from the ground up.

Welcome to the forums though.
    And for the record, I bought an XTi body a month ago, and did a year of research before I bought anything.
  • 06-24-2007, 07:15 AM
    rovowen
    Muddy Beast, and I quote, "Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 *blah blah blah*". how do you like this lens.
    Just purchased this lens but havn't gotten to use it much.

newbie here.
    rovowen
  • 07-01-2007, 01:16 AM
    Hanoian
    Hi Muddy Beast,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your suggestion that I do more research, but as an newbie, I don't know the answers to the questions you're asking. What kind of zoom, what kind of lighting? All kinds! I want to experiment with all kinds of photography at this point, which is why I am looking for the best versatile lens I can find in my stated $500 price range. In any case, I will look at some photos and see what others are using.

• 07-01-2007, 04:29 AM
    Liz
    You might want to try the 50mm/f1.8 which is only about $80 - and it's a nice sharp all around lens. It's probably the best lens for the price. You can do portraits - indoor - outdoor, close-ups of food, etc. It might be good for you to get this right now since you're not sure exactly what you're looking for. This lens is very popular. Then you could save your money for the next lens. I think using the 50mm will help you narrow your needs down too. I have used the 50mm lens (first the 1.8 - then upgraded to 1.4) since I purchased my first SLR camera. I have the XTi too btw. It's light & easy to carry around.

Check out some of these great photos shot with this lens - on the Viewfinder forum.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=28104

Link to lens at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanoian
    Hi there,

I have a Rebel XTi with the EFS 18-55mm kit lens. I would like to upgrade to a better lens, but I'm lost. I would like something versatile that will allow me to shoot high quality landscapes, portraits, indoor, and outdoor photography (including some close-ups of food, etc.), but I will not really be using my camera to shoot "everyday" family shots, etc. It's more for learning serious photography, so I need a lens that will allow me to experiment with different techniques and travel photography. Can anyone recommend a moderately priced lens? I am looking to spend no more than $500 right now.

Thanks!

• 07-01-2007, 10:11 AM
    Hanoian
    Liz--thank you so much for your suggestion and for the links. I love the photos and will seriously consider this lens.
  • 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM
    Muddy Beast
    To add to what Liz suggested, a lens which I have as well, after taking photos with the fixed 50mm Canon, I would suggest asking yourself these questions, then getting back to us...

1)Do you find your self wanting more reach/zoom, or less?
    2)Do your pictures end up to dark or do you find yourself raising the ISO to get a clear shot regularly?
    3)After looking at pictures, do you wish you had a wide picture/view to fit things in, or are you happy with things?
    4)When strolling around with your lens, have you seen things that are far away, but you really wish you could get a picture of closer? (Such as a mountain top)
    5)Looking at a majority of your photos, are they indoors or out?

Just a few questions that can help lead to a good lens thats customized for you...although many different ones will still fit.

And Rovowen, I love the Tamron. A majority of my photos are taken with this lens, and they all make me very happy! You'll be happy with this lens, I'm sure.
  • 07-02-2007, 03:57 AM
    jixline
    i have the same issue here, and not much cash.

i have kit, 50 1.8, sigma 70-300 with macro.

but for something versatile, i am considering the sigma 18-200. not the best and has mixed reviews, but i think it should be good as an all time lens.
    i am not an expert, so please correct me if i am wrong
  • 07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
    Hanoian
    Hi Liz & Muddy Beast,

I got the 50mm f/1.8 lens! I really like it so far, but I also like being able to switch to my old lens from time to time. I think what I've realized is that while I do need several lenses anyway, my old lens (the kit lens) is far more versatile. I've been testing out my prime, and at times I want to take a great landscape shot and can't, and other time I want to zoom in and take a macro shot and can't. However, I am really, really happy with some of my less finicky shots (like portraits). And everything is super sharp. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
    jessep
    The sigma 17-70 looks like a good one, I was thinking about getting one of those for my xti.
  • 07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanoian
    Hi Liz & Muddy Beast,

I got the 50mm f/1.8 lens! I really like it so far, but I also like being able to switch to my old lens from time to time. I think what I've realized is that while I do need several lenses anyway, my old lens (the kit lens) is far more versatile. I've been testing out my prime, and at times I want to take a great landscape shot and can't, and other time I want to zoom in and take a macro shot and can't. However, I am really, really happy with some of my less finicky shots (like portraits). And everything is super sharp. Thanks for the suggestions!

Congratulations on the 50mm.......I think you won't regret purchasing this lens even after you get other more versatile lenses.

You might consider looking at some used equipment. KEH.com sells a lot of used cameras and lenses.

For longer zooms, the 70-300 IS is relatively new and really nice. It's a bit expensive, I guess around $550. I had this lens and it's really sharp with great color rendition - close to "L" lens quality. I only sold it because I have a back/neck problem and for me, it was too big & heavy (although it's not that heavy for most people).

ETA: link to the 70-300 at B&H - if you'd like to check it out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_EF_IS.html

At any rate, enjoy what you have - and post some pictures.........

Liz
  • 07-20-2007, 02:44 AM
    mdmc
    Hello Hanoian,
    You seem to be looking for a magic lense. If you could could have a choice of only one lense the 50mm might be the best choice. You wont find anything sharper or better in image qualty, period.
    Let me ask you this; what is it that you dont like about the kit lense?
    I have seen mostly good reviews of its image quality. Its not great, its a little soft, and its slow(Variable aperture), but if you take great photos with it no one will care what lense you used.
    I see that you're already finding the kit lense more useful than the super duper sharp 50mm $86 prime.
    If I were you I would add to what I have By buying an inexpensive tele zoom like the sigma 70-300 apo macro for $250. I say this because you already have an 18-55 lense and an 18-200 lense would duplicate half of what you already have.
    And it wouldn't be any better quality.
    If price were no object then I would buy cannon L glass.
    Price is an object for me and I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a Tokina 80-200f2.8, and a tokina 12-24f4.0
    I paid $500 for the 12-24f4.0 Tokina, $450 for the Tamron 17-50f2.8, and $400 for the tokina 80-200f2.8(I bought the 80-200f2.8 used and I dont think its available new , so substitute the high rated sigma 70-200f2.8 for $550).
    Now I'm thinking about this you have an 18-55 so that saves you $450 by eliminating the Tamron 17-50, you can get a big honking Sigma 70-200f2.8 for $550, or a Sigma 70-300 f5.6 for $250. The 70-200 is great for sports and low light, and the 70-300 is good for all around and macro(1/2 mag).
    Now you have to think about wide angle. Sigma has a 10-20 mm and Tokina has a 12-24mm, their both great image quality lenses and both about the same price $500.
    Wait a minuete, you wanted 1 lense and a budget of $500!
    Allright, you have an 18-55. 18mm is wide enough for most situations, weather for landscapes or groups of people.
    Now you're choice gets easier for me. Spend over $550 for a huge specialized sports lense(also good for portraits), Or spend $250 for a do all lense(Good for portraits and macro, not that good for sports).

My vote is for the Sigma 70-300 APO macro!
    Even better may be The Sigma70-300 non APO macro or Tamron 70-300 macro as they sell for $140 brand new.
    After You've been shooting for a while you will know what you want, but an 18-55/70-300 macro duo with a 50mm kicker is a good starting point.
    Mark.
  • 07-29-2007, 10:13 AM
    dante
    what don't you like about your 18-55? it's a pretty common focal length, and if you're looking for something to replace it but is better quality, look at the Sigma 18-50, Tamron 17-50, Canon 17-85 (eh), etc. if you want to zoom in further, and are happy with the lens you have, check out either the Canon 70-200 f4 or 70-300. basically, what aren't you happy about with your current setup?