Canon XTI Packages?

Printable View

• 06-25-2007, 12:27 AM
    nutsnbolts
    Canon XTI Packages?
    Ok, I can't say I know what I'm doing but I pretty much know what I want to purchase, a Canon XTI.

Looking around the online and retail stores, the price ranges (for kits) around 800-1000. That is just camera and A lens.

A friend of mine did purchase a Canon XT about a year ago and suggested I should purchase mine on eBAY.

Of course, after perusing eBay, the packages they have there are unbelieveable. They range from 2 to 3 lenses, carrying case, etc. in different combinations and price varying but are competitive to the online and retail store but are offering lots lots more.

The question is, some packages offer 2 to 3 additional lenses and I noticed some packages are cheaper with Sigma lenses, then Tamron lenses, and Canon lenses, are the Canon lenses the best suggestion to go with the packages?

In addition, there are some packages that includes flashes and I'm wondering if they are even worth including in the package or find a more less expensive package without one and buy it seperately.

Can someone offer some advice as to what packages are worth the purchase or what they offer is worthwhile on Ebay?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, lastly, my budget for these packages or in general is around $1000.
  • 06-25-2007, 03:19 AM
    rovowen
    Re: Canon XTI Packages?
    I bought a 20D last year as a kit. It came with a 4gig CF card, Flash, Canon 18-55 and Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6. And so, many trinkets that are still in the packages.
    This was in September of 06. I have already replaced the flash with a Canon 430ex. The 18-55 can take some nice shots but lacks a lot. I have purchased a Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 to replace it. The Tamron 70-300 can only be used with a tri-pod or the very least a mono-pod, then I get some decent pictures with it.
    Since I am still a newbie and there are many that may have better advice them me. You didn't mention what you want to shot with your camera. If you looking for a general lens. maybe the Canon 28-135mm, this should fix into the budget you have given. If you are looking for a lens for indoor sports, one with an f/2.8 minimum.
    So, in my option, look at the lens that comes with the package, check the ratings on here and the price. But I would recommend, that you buy the camera body only and purchase a lens that you need.
    Also, I have found that most of the cameras sold on e-bay can be bought for only a few dollars more from places like B & H.
  • 06-25-2007, 05:01 AM
    mjs1973
    I bought my DRebel in an ebay kit back in 2004. I will not do that again. All of the "extras" they have in those kit's are pretty much junk. I do still use the memory card, and the extra batteries I got with mine, but that's about it. The tripod isn't even worth it's weight in scrap metal, and the camera bag wasn't even big enough to hold the items that came in the kit!

The kits sound very nice because you get a lot of stuff, for a pretty reasonable price, but when you figure in the replacement cost, it's not a great deal. I, like most people who buy these kits, end up replacing almost everything that comes with them. If you figure in this replacement cost, you would be better off getting the body only, or body and one lens, and then buy the best quality accesories that you can afford. In reality, you're going to want to upgrade anyway, so why not do it right the first time.
  • 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
    nutsnbolts
    I understand where you guys are coming from in terms of trying to find what you need and get the best out of what you need. I too, think the same but coming in as a newbie and trying to make sure I purchase what is right the first time, is difficult. Ask me about computers and hardware, I'll tell you exactly what to get or what's worth your money.

However, when it comes down to this, I want to make sure I buy everything I need in one shot and right at the first time. There are obviously certain things in the package that are "junk". For instance, I already have a very high quality tripod which technically I don't need another. I have a card reader already and don't need for another card reader. But the bottom line is some of these items don't even get offered when you purchase it at the store. So consider it a freebie..(junk or not, lol)

The thing I'm concerned about...I guess is the following:

1. The camera itself (body)
    2. The lenses they offer (Sigma, Tamron, Canon) in different combinations.

Take this link for instance (CLICK HERE) as an example. See how the price is pretty decent and offers two lense (Sigma). For a bit more, there are others out there that offer Tamron or Canon lenses or offer 1 other lense.

The bag, card reader, card or whatever are all probably be upgraded as I go along but the lenses they offer seems to cover the ranges that you both speak off.

The flash, on the other hand, as you can see is decent (I think) to hold me off. I would like to get the Canon 430ex but can't justify to drop the 300+ pricetag for it yet. But knowing me, I know I will do it sooner than later.

What do you guys think (at least what the package seems to offer)? Check out the others here (CLICK ME). You'll see all the packages and their combinations. Anyone have suggestions as to what is a good package that you guys see there (in terms of price) and within my budget of about $1000?
  • 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
    rovowen
    the two lens by Sigma, I think are not made by them anymore. I could not find them on their web sight. But from what I could gather, the Sigma 70-300, people were/are buying them for under $200. Now it does have a rating of 4 0f 5 on this site. But that, I feel is not a good rating.
    The Sigma 28-80 I found on Sigma for Less at $54.xx.
    I really know what you are going through.

rovowen
  • 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
    Muddy Beast
    Well I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. And I ended up going with a canon XTi body and buying lenses that fit my needs, and I'm just now in the market for a quality tripod and flash.

What I dont think you understand is, the brand of the lens is not what makes it good.And to be frank, if you plan on getting good at photography they will not last you long. You need to discover what lens is right for you, and go find one.

For example, I bought an XTi body off ebay with shipping for $650 (slightly used body) and then I bought a nifty fifty lens (Canon 50mm F/1.8) because its only $50-70 and a really good lens for the money. Then I desided I wanted a small zoom lens, "A walk around lens" so I can take most of my pictures with one lens on the camera. For this I bought a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, about $350ish. All of this was custom to my needs, and I'm very happy with it! I chose these lenses because I intend to shoot in low light conditions, so I need a lower number apature (f/1.8 for example its a pretty low apature, which means more light will be caught in one photo versus the f/2.8 lens).

And now, only a month later I plan on buying a tripod, 480EX Speedlite flash, and 10-20mm sigma lens. And in buying things this way, I get exactly what I want with the money I have. And I get stuff that I have room to upgrade.

hope this helps!
  • 06-26-2007, 01:37 PM
    nutsnbolts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddy Beast
    Well I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. And I ended up going with a canon XTi body and buying lenses that fit my needs, and I'm just now in the market for a quality tripod and flash.

What I dont think you understand is, the brand of the lens is not what makes it good.And to be frank, if you plan on getting good at photography they will not last you long. You need to discover what lens is right for you, and go find one.

For example, I bought an XTi body off ebay with shipping for $650 (slightly used body) and then I bought a nifty fifty lens (Canon 50mm F/1.8) because its only $50-70 and a really good lens for the money. Then I desided I wanted a small zoom lens, "A walk around lens" so I can take most of my pictures with one lens on the camera. For this I bought a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, about $350ish. All of this was custom to my needs, and I'm very happy with it! I chose these lenses because I intend to shoot in low light conditions, so I need a lower number apature (f/1.8 for example its a pretty low apature, which means more light will be caught in one photo versus the f/2.8 lens).

And now, only a month later I plan on buying a tripod, 480EX Speedlite flash, and 10-20mm sigma lens. And in buying things this way, I get exactly what I want with the money I have. And I get stuff that I have room to upgrade.

hope this helps!

You make a great point and time after time again, people always come back saying that it's a matter of what fits the photographer. Take yourself for instance, you bought the body and as time went by, based on your needs, you made your purchases to what suit your needs. From what you have stated, you already spend over $1000. Granted, it's specific to what you need.

On the other hand, take myself for instance, my dilemma is I don't know what I'm gonna be using the camera for...I know I want to use it for low light conditions (actually what pursuaded me from looking at the DSLR to begin with because a digital point and shoot wasn't doing any justice), I want to capture great stunning images and overall, capture images in different scenarios without the camera holding me back.

From what it seems, (per what eBay has to offer), they cover the ranges of lens that I may need, let's say for around $1000, along with the other "junk" items. But. the junk can hold me off and I can base my decision as to what i should upgrade and end up paying the same amount that other stores/online store are offering but much less.

Understand? I guess my next question would be, out of the packages that you have seen on eBay, go with the Canon lens set? Tamron or Sigma? This may be a tough question because I think all these lenses perform differently but if you were in my shoe and to get started, what is the better package?
  • 06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
    nutsnbolts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rovowen
    the two lens by Sigma, I think are not made by them anymore. I could not find them on their web sight. But from what I could gather, the Sigma 70-300, people were/are buying them for under $200. Now it does have a rating of 4 0f 5 on this site. But that, I feel is not a good rating.
    The Sigma 28-80 I found on Sigma for Less at $54.xx.
    I really know what you are going through.

rovowen

LoL. Yes, confused I am. Interestingly enough, you said Sigma doesn't carry these lense anymore. wierd. That's eBay for you. On the other hand, Canon lense seems to be a sure bet.

Anyone else?