Canon XTi or Nikon D60?

Printable View

• 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
    Desertdog
    Canon XTi or Nikon D60?
    Hey, I'm new to the forum here, I've read around a bit and actually work at Best Buy (my favorite dpt being Digital Imaging :p ) and from everything I've learned there and through speaking to customers I've narrowed down my choices to either a Canon XTi or Nikon D60.

I hope this isn't just repeat drivel that I wasn't able to find upon reading through this forum some.. but any help you guys could give me would be great! I'd be getting a 55-250mm (maybe 200mm for the Nikon?) image stabilizing lens to go with the kit (18-55mm IS/VR) lens as well.

I'd mainly be using it in 'expedition' type travel, either based out of my Toyota 4x4 or stored in a bag in the saddlebags on a BMW Dakar (motorcycle).

Which do you all think would work better and take better pictures? Durability is premier as well, I might add.
  • 05-02-2008, 01:21 AM
    RP Racing
    Re: Canon XTi or Nikon D60?
    Nikon, canon. Either one will do you great.
  • 05-02-2008, 05:49 AM
    Photo-John
    I agree with Rob. Either camera will be great. It's more a matter of your personal taste. There are no bad digital SLRs now. Can I ask why you're not considering Canon's new EOS Rebel XSi? It's their newest entry-level digital SLR and like the D60, it comes with an image-stabilized kit lens. If you were making the choice between the D60 and the XSi, I'd steer you towards the XSi because it has a bit more resolution and a few more features. But between the XTi and the D60, it's a toss-up for me.

One other thing is you might look down the road at your long-term photo plans and see if you think you prefer one system over the other. Like I said, there are no bad DSLRs. But when you start looking at lenses, accessories, and manufacturer philosophies, sometimes one company will appeal more than another.

And since you are planning to take it touring on your moto, I would also recommend you take a look at Olympus. They're sort of an underdog, but when size and weight are an issue, Olympus is the current champ. The camera bodies (with the exception of the new E-420) all have built-in image stabilization, so you don't need to buy special lenses. And the Four Thirds sensor standard means the lenses have a 2x digital crop instead of the standard 1.5x. That means if you're shooting telephoto, you get more reach with smaller, lighter lenses. I did a lot of ski photography this winter with the Olympus E-3 (their top-of-the-line body) and their 70-300mm lens and I was really pleased with the quality and versatility of the kit. It was my favorite ski photo kit and I had a lot of stuff to choose from. For what it's worth, I also liked the Nikon D40x with the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens combo. In my Nikon D40x review, I actually recommend that combo over the D60.

Well, that should muddy the waters sufficiently. I think my job is done here :-D

Seriously, I hope that helps. I know it probably complicates your decision a bit. But I wanted to point out some good alternatives. It seemed like you needed a bigger picture. And I'm sure you'll have more questions. We'll be happy to answer them :-)
  • 05-02-2008, 10:25 AM
    Desertdog
    Haha, indeed the waters are getting quite murky :p

As it turns out, I have already read your review on the D40x and found it quite informative; it really backed up what I was thinking as far as Nikons go.

I will definitely take a look at Olympus - as a side note I probably wouldn't even be having any second thoughts right now if it weren't for a customer I had last night who teaches photography essentially raving about Canons, though I realized she was a bit kooky afterwards :p

Chances are I'll go with the D60, but we'll see :]

ETA to camera shop: 1.5 hours.....

EDIT: Oh, and the XSi really isn't an option for me at this point primarily due to price, and to be honest I've found its menus a bit clunky :o
    Though I'll see what body only would cost me...
  • 05-02-2008, 11:28 AM
    kenny
    hee hee.........so i just signed up so i could post the exact same question.....and i mean the exact same one.....those are the 2 cameras i have narrowed down to----now john, i know you know some of my history, but for the rest of y'all, my history is this: i used film cameras for years, then upon a recent trip to australia, i got my first digital camera---a point and shoot by casio(an EX-Z750), and with the advent of the ease of digital, i began shooting a lot. that camera, despite it's modest appearance and kinda crusty little lens, takes fantastic pics(i know some may be thinking, oh yeah, right, but i've been in the industry a loooooong time and i do know what constitutes good and bad....; )

now i don't shoot landscapes very often, nor do i shoot moving thing too often either.....i generally like to work in very close----i do a lot of macro and abstract work, but i do like the option to take other things as well. in fact, my style has very much built itself around how my point and shoot works----i compose on the screen, i get in close--often as close as the camera will allow, and i love that it is just so easy----the lens works close, far, normal....i'm wanting some nicer glass and a better sensor, as i'm wanting to print bigger and bigger, and i'm tired of lens distortion. i know this means i will likely need 2 lenses---a more normal lens and one for macro, but the prices of good lenses are a bit prohibitive, in that i'm a musician, and money is indeed a huge concern right now.....

i don't really keep up on camera equipment----i just like to have my 'tool' for the job(no funny comments folks....: ) and get to it. in fact, i sort of like the camera to be easy and transparent....i don't like to dilly dally with lots of features, and both those cameras have so damn many..............i do like the stabilization stuff, as i tend to have an issue with shaking.......(i'm a musician......: )

thanks for any help.................i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the technical stuff...
  • 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
    Photo-John
    Canon Menus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertdog
    Oh, and the XSi really isn't an option for me at this point primarily due to price, and to be honest I've found its menus a bit clunky :o
    Though I'll see what body only would cost me...

If you don't like the XSi menus, you won't like the XTi menus, either. They're pretty much exactly the same. I am more used to Canon stuff than Nikon, so I have more trouble with Nikon menus. But I would be careful about judging a camera on something like menus. Because you'll get used to it pretty quickly and they will become second nature. That said, go with your gut. I honestly believe you could go into Best Buy, close your eyes and grab a DSLR, and you'd have done well. The cameras now are all ridiculously good.
  • 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
    Franglais
    The Canon XTi is probably the better camera (more features). But the Nikon D60 certainly comes with a better kit lens. Boththe Canon and Nikon 18-55 are plastic but the Nikon version has much better image quality, according to all the tests I've seen.

I've been recommending people to buy the Nikon kits on this basis.
  • 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
    Photo-John
    Not Sure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Franglais
    The Canon XTi is probably the better camera (more features). But the Nikon D60 certainly comes with a better kit lens. Boththe Canon and Nikon 18-55 are plastic but the Nikon version has much better image quality, according to all the tests I've seen.

I've been recommending people to buy the Nikon kits on this basis.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm going to by my experience with the XTi and the D40x kit lenses. And in that case, I thought that the XTi kit lens was better. It may be I had a bad Nikon sample. And it's possible that the D60 lens has been improved (aside from the VR feature). But I have found that recent Canon kit lenses were very impressive. Albeit, that's based on veryy touchy-feely experience - no quantitative testing.
  • 05-02-2008, 01:49 PM
    McPwnus
    Re: Not Sure
    I've used my friend's XTi on several occasions, and it was nice, but after reading many reviews and looking at picture comparisons, I found the quality to price ratio to be much better with the Nikon (XTi vs. D40x). It basically boiled down to lenses. The XTi has the ability to look better, given that you are willing to drop another G or so on a good lens, but stock for stock, the Nikon kit is much better. I ended up picking up a D60 last week, and I couldn't be happier.
  • 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
    Dylan8i
    for macro shots from a point and shoot to a DSLR one of the major differences you'll notice is how much LESS of the picture will be in focus. but you also have alot more control over how much is in or out of focus.
  • 05-03-2008, 08:55 AM
    Desertdog
    Hey, I ended up going with the Nikon D60 :D

I was also able to get the D60 kit with a 55-200mm VR lens for $899, the lens actually costing me $150 instead of $340!

I'm really glad I went with the Nikon; I really love just about everything about it :)
  • 05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
    McPwnus
    Quote:

I was also able to get the D60 kit with a 55-200mm VR lens for $899, the lens actually costing me $150 instead of $340!

I'm really glad I went with the Nikon; I really love just about everything about it :)

Good choice :D
  • 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
    kenny
    thank you all for chiming in! appreciate it................i know i will do well either way, but i'm terrible at making decisions..........: ) i'll continue to check out this thread until i am ready to buy................so keep posting please............: )
  • 05-04-2008, 06:40 AM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

It may be a little late now but before you buy I suggest you check out the Camera dealer feedback forum. Beware of sites that sucker you in with very low prices.

Look here BEFORE YOU BUY, Jeff
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=10
  • 05-05-2008, 11:59 PM
    Desertdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    It may be a little late now but before you buy I suggest you check out the Camera dealer feedback forum. Beware of sites that sucker you in with very low prices.

Look here BEFORE YOU BUY, Jeff
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=10

Ah, I appreciate the advice; I generally don't buy online unless I have to - and this deal was through Best Buy, in store, where I happen to work :p

By the way, I love the camera :)
    I have to say, regardless of people's personal recommendation and such, if the specs are about the same, make your own decision and go with the one you truly enjoy handling, you won't be disappointed :]
  • 05-06-2008, 09:18 AM
    Franglais
    Hey surprise Canon made a good kit lens?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm not so sure about that. I'm going to by my experience with the XTi and the D40x kit lenses. And in that case, I thought that the XTi kit lens was better. It may be I had a bad Nikon sample. And it's possible that the D60 lens has been improved (aside from the VR feature). But I have found that recent Canon kit lenses were very impressive. Albeit, that's based on veryy touchy-feely experience - no quantitative testing.

I usually quote Chasseurs d'Images for lens and camera tests. I find they're consistently reliable plus as it's all in French people on this forum probably haven't seen the test.

But no test of the new Canon 18-55 IS kit lens in CdI yet. Looking around at tests on Internet it looks like Canon may have produced a really good kit lens this time.