Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon Rebel XT vs. XS

I'm looking into getting my first Digital SLR, and I'm hoping to not spend too much (as little as possible really), but I want a good camera. I've decided on a Canon Rebel because I like the simplicity, the price is right, and it seems to take great pictures. Now, I've been looking at getting a Rebel XT on Amazon or Ebay for in the $400 - $450 range, and a Rebel XS would would be roughly $500+. The Rebel XT seems great, but I'm a little unsure about a few things. It has a small LCD screen (1.8 inch), and a digital read-out above it. Do you guys see the digital read-out as positive, or would it be better to have a bigger screen with all the information on it? Also, I know this sounds like a stupid question, but with a Digital SLR, do you exclusively use the eye-piece when taking pictures, or do you use the LCD screen? (My current camera's digital eye-piece has a ridiculously low resolution, so I cant use it). I believe the two cameras take comparable pictures, and the extra two megapixels in the XS isn't worth the extra money to me. What do you guys think? Are there other features that make the XS worth it?

Any help would be much appreciated,
    -Oblivion
    "Only one life
    'twill soon be past
    only what's done
    for Christ will last"

Re: Canon Rebel XT vs. XS

The thing that may push you over to the XS would be the live LCD display. On the XT, you will only be able to see what you're shooting through the viewfinder, but on the XS you can chose either the optical viewfinder or the live LCD display. Though, I very much prefer the optical viewfinder, and I am sure that once you are accustomed to SLR, you will prefer that as well. So, the live LCD display is the biggest difference and most significant advantage that the XS has over the XT. If that feature isn't an advantage to you, you may just want to stick with the XT.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Yeah, I'm starting to lean more towards the XS now, especially since I have big hands and after trying the XTI (I think the XTI and XT have the same body size), it felt a bit awkward. Also, the XT menu doesn't seem very quick and easy, and I think down the line I'd be happier with the XS.
    "Only one life
    'twill soon be past
    only what's done
    for Christ will last"

I agree. The Live LCD display that gives you all the info in one space is simple and is one less thing to go bad. With DSLRs, I still prefer the viewfinder as it's natural and also allows to save the battery power for what it should be used for, taking pictures!

The menu system is smore intuitive on the XS, so yes, unless you can't pass up the deal on the XT (still a good camera, BTW), I'd go with the XS.

Alright, thanks guys. I think I'll end up getting the XS (when I find a deal I can't pass up). I think the extra features are well worth the money. Thanks again guys.

-Oblivion
    "Only one life
    'twill soon be past
    only what's done
    for Christ will last"

Thread Information