• 03-16-2010, 04:32 PM
    Adgjqetuo
    Canon Rebel XSI - Good Buy
    A Co-Worker is offering to sell me his Canon Rebel XSI with lense, 4gb memory card and all in-box accesories for $250 (or just the camera for $150) but I don't have any lenses so I'd have to get everything. Is this a good deal?

He said the camera is only a year old and has nothing wrong with it. He's looking to sell it because he just bought a newer model that has the HD video option. He's letting me borrow it tomorrow night to try it out.

What do you guys think?
  • 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM
    BlueRob
    Re: Canon Rebel XSI - Good Buy
    If the camera is in working order it is a great deal.
  • 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adgjqetuo
    A Co-Worker is offering to sell me his Canon Rebel XSI with lense, 4gb memory card and all in-box accesories for $250 (or just the camera for $150) but I don't have any lenses so I'd have to get everything. Is this a good deal?

He said the camera is only a year old and has nothing wrong with it. He's looking to sell it because he just bought a newer model that has the HD video option. He's letting me borrow it tomorrow night to try it out.

What do you guys think?

If it's in good condition with all parts working, no problems, it is more than good! New XSi kits (with 18-55IS lens) cost $560 - which is also a good deal....

Which lens? Just curious. It very well might be the 18-55IS if it came in the same box. Although for this price, it is a lens, doesn't matter which one - good practice!

If you don't buy it, send me a pm and I will! :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
    Photo-John
    Hell Yeah!
    That's an awesome deal. Don't even think about it. Snap that sucker up!
  • 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
    Adgjqetuo
    It's the stock lense - not sure which one
  • 03-16-2010, 05:56 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Like Photo John said - just do it! You will never get a deal like this again! :cool: :thumbsup: :D

Liz
  • 03-16-2010, 06:07 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

That's the EF-S 18-55mm IS zoom. It's a fine lens - especially when you're stealing it, which you are, at that price.
  • 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
    Adgjqetuo
    Are there any immediate cons with this camera? I read somewhere this camera emits a lot of noise into pictures of low light - any truth to this? I would have thought something like noise would be lense specific - no?
  • 03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Are there any immediate cons with this camera? I read somewhere this camera emits a lot of noise into pictures of low light - any truth to this? I would have thought something like noise would be lense specific - no?

That's referring to digital noise, which is essentially grain. And every camera has noise in low light. It's just a matter of how much. Yes, you could get a camera that produces less noise. But not for that price. And for what it's worth, I'm using an XSi for most of the product photography you see in the pro reviews on this site. It's a great little camera.
  • 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

The XSi is a very highly rated/reviewed camera. You can read the specification/features and other information about the camera here.

Camera & 18-55 IS lens: $559 new

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Si_a_k_a_.html

Camera - body only: $485

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

For this price, there are no cons that I can think of. All reviews I've read are great. Unless you're looking for video - does not include video - only the more expensive, newer (Canon) dslr's do (another $200). That is not a con.

Buy it! It's a steal !!!!!!! Seriously. No problems unless it's broken!

Liz
  • 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
    EverlastingImpressions
    Yeah, seriously, if you don't want it, I'll buy it!
  • 03-17-2010, 03:15 AM
    Adgjqetuo
    Thanks for all the positive responses! So when I take it home tonight is there anything specific I should look for / test that I may not think of? I'm completly new to SLRs
  • 03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
    ronin2307
    just got my XSi about 2 weeks ago and I love it. As an amateur making a switch from P+S, this thing is a dream. And for that price it is a steal, but you already know that :)
    Unless the camera is broken, I would definitely get it.
  • 03-17-2010, 11:02 AM
    CaraRose
    XSi is an awesome camera. I bought two... the first one was stolen when my brother's house was broken into while I was dog sitting.

Kit lens is very nice. Great camera with excellent features.
  • 03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Thanks for all the positive responses! So when I take it home tonight is there anything specific I should look for / test that I may not think of? I'm completly new to SLRs

Congratulations!!! Good decision that I'm sure you will not regret! :thumbsup:

I would suggest a couple of things. First, I would make sure the battery is charged. Then just put it in auto and play around with it just to try it out. Hopefully it won't be dark outside yet.

Then tonight I would read the manual, at least enough of it to figure out some of the controls, know where everything is and learn enough to have some fun for a few days to get used to the camera.

As far as testing, I'm not the expert here - maybe others will chime in. However, just trying it out will give you an idea of what it can do. You can also come back here and ask specific questions.

Liz
  • 03-17-2010, 05:17 PM
    Adgjqetuo
    Okay - took the camera out for a trial - and I must say i'm very impressed!

I have a few questions though - hoping someone can help me answer:

1) I really like how the subject is clear and the background is blury - however there would be some instances where I WOULDN'T want that - is there a way to do that? (IE - Night shots with a cruise ship in the background or something)

2) I cannot figure out how to get the "Live View" to auto focus?? I can Auto Focus with the view finder but the live view only works with Manual? It takes pictures blury when on Auto Focus and Live View.

3) The macro feature tents to want to use the flash which in turn washes out the picture. I tried turning the flash off but it gives me an error saying "not available for close-up" is there a way to lessen the intensity of the flash for close up pictures?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
    ronin2307
    Quote:

Okay - took the camera out for a trial - and I must say i'm very impressed!

I have a few questions though - hoping someone can help me answer:

1) I really like how the subject is clear and the background is blury - however there would be some instances where I WOULDN'T want that - is there a way to do that? (IE - Night shots with a cruise ship in the background or something)

2) I cannot figure out how to get the "Live View" to auto focus?? I can Auto Focus with the view finder but the live view only works with Manual? It takes pictures blury when on Auto Focus and Live View.

3) The macro feature tents to want to use the flash which in turn washes out the picture. I tried turning the flash off but it gives me an error saying "not available for close-up" is there a way to lessen the intensity of the flash for close up pictures?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I am new to this world too and have very limited knowledge, but here is what i have learned:

1) yes, you certainly can control the depth of field. This is what you are refering to when you are talking about a blurry background etc. Typically you can play with that (aperture setting) in the Av mode. I suggest you do a bit research on that. plenty of sources on the net that can explain it much better than i can. plus i dont want to tell you anything wrong

2) haven't played with liveview but from everything i have read about it before i bought this camera is that it is virtually useless. I had my hesitation about it as well coming from P+S camera, but now i embrace the viewfinder and enjoy it much more than the LCD (for that purpose)

3) that is one of the basic modes, which lets you control very little, if anything. I have been told to really let you creative juices going, i need to use the P setting which sets the aperture and shutter speed for you and lets you control the ISO value and start learning from there. in this and other advanced modes, you control the flash.

so that is what i know. like i said, i am a rookie in dSLR world too and hope i havent told you anything wrong. If i did, then i am mistaken too :)
    but worry not as someone much smarter than myself will surely correct me in no time :)

enjoy the camera. it is awesome
  • 03-17-2010, 08:28 PM
    Adgjqetuo
    So - Quick update - I decided to go for it!

Proud new owner of a Canon Rebel XSI :)