Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Buying a new camera?

When buying a camera how much weight do you give to its video capturing features?

Re: Buying a new camera?

None, if video is of little or no interest. A bunch if video is important.

As for myself, video is of no interest and hence not important.
    Last edited by volks; 11-07-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Absolutely Zip....Zero......NADA......NONE!!!

If I want video I will buy a video camera.

My wedding vidiographers shot the whole thing with DSLRs. I was quite impressed with the quality. Being able to take great video which interchangeable lenses without spending more on extra equipment is a nice bonus especially when traveling and space/weight is limitted

Not much, but a little. I like the idea of being able to shoot video well but almost never find myself doing it. Maybe with my new camera that is supposed to be pretty good, I'll try it a little more often. My problem is that when I'm shooting video I feel like I'm missing photo opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandchuck View Post
    When buying a camera how much weight do you give to its video capturing features?
    For the moment the video capability is about everything. I'll qualify by saying my aging DLSR doesn't do video but it makes large (12 x 18) prints that please, and with 4 lenses, 2, flash, tripods, other gear captures images. A great travel zoom only does 720p video and is not waterproof.

The factors mention have me considering a modern up date to DSLR system via 70D and STM lens or going to the Nikon AW1.

I would feel completely different (how much weight) if I had a 1080p video camera or better waterproof camera.

Very little. If I want to do video then I use my little compact which usually does it very well.

I bought my DSLR's to do stills. While they can do excellent videos I think they have problems with things like silent focussing and zooming that professional videographers can handle but I can't.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Hey guys I'm looking at a few different cameras to buy. I am considering the Nikon d5200, Nikon d7100, nikon d800, and canon mark ii. I'm basically only taking portrait shots and am having a hard time deciding between these cameras. I don't planning on taking any videos so I don't really care about the video quality.

Judging by the models that you are considering, budget does not appear to be an issue, so I'd go for the Nikon D610. It should be great for your needs.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Hello everyone, new user here. I as well am looking to buy a camera, and would love some help selecting one.

I'm looking for an intermediate level DSLR, $450-$700. Cannon or Nikon.

One of my main concerns is having a responsive trigger. I love how accurate spring loaded triggers are.

I would mostly use the camera for nature and people.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brockness View Post
    I'm looking for an intermediate level DSLR, $450-$700. Cannon or Nikon.

One of my main concerns is having a responsive trigger. I love how accurate spring loaded triggers are.

Thanks!
    I'm not sure what you mean with that trigger (shutter button) comment. I can find the 1/2 way spring or indent with modern cameras but they are not like my old mechanical film cameras.

The Nikon F has a retro look and might have the shutter action you want but is much higher than you budget. That is a near looking camera but I don't think I'd want to give up advances in ergonomics, menus, and touch control for that look.

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Very little. If I want to do video then I use my little compact which usually does it very well.

I bought my DSLR's to do stills. While they can do excellent videos I think they have problems with things like silent focussing and zooming that professional videographers can handle but I can't.
    I was using my compact Panasonic until I wanted 1080P video it didn't have. That was great because the 720P resolution still beat our old tape camcorder.

The silent focus for video work exists but maybe not with the system or lens(es) you have.

A used Cannon 60d might be just what your looking for

Bitflogger:
    Thanks. I used to use an Olympus OM 1 which I only stopped using because film became an increasingly costly and time consuming affair.
    I am looking for:
    1. Highly responsive shutter button
    2. Many convenient manual controls
    3. Large/Nice manual viewfinder
    4. Battery life
    5. From what I have read, Cannon sounds better for me, but i'm not too attached
    6. Lightweight is always nice, but not too big of a deal.

I have been doing some research, but there are so many to choose from, and I am still relatively unfamiliar with DSLRs. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything important to know about the digital interface aspect?

Nikon D5000 is the best DSLR camera. A step up in the entry-level category in terms of both price and features, the Nikon D5000 was among the first DSLRs to deliver HD video recording. While the 720p at 24fps video capabilities didn’t quite match the similarly priced Canon EOS Rebel T1i that came out just weeks before it, the D5000 stood out for its 2.7-inch tilt-and-swivel LCD, fast 4fps continuous shooting speed, 11-point Autofocus system, and for being the first of Nikon’s entry-level DSLRs to use a CMOS sensor.

Thanks you..
    ThermalCamerasInc

Nikon D5000 is the best SLR camera. A footfall up in the entry-level class in agreement of both amount and features, the Nikon D5000 was a part of the aboriginal SLR to bear HD video recording. While the 720p at 24fps video capabilities did n™t absolutely bout the analogously priced Canon EON Rebel T1i that came out just weeks a fore it, the D5000 stood out for its 2.7-inch tilt-and-swivel LCD, fast 4fps connected cutting speed, 11-point Auto focus system, and for getting the aboriginal of Nikon’s entry-level SLR to use a C MOS sensor.

When you want to buy yourself a good digital camera, you must make sure that you get the best deal. There are certain things that you should have clear in your mind before you choose the perfect camera.

When you are looking at the price of a camera, always check to see if it includes the price of essential accessories as well. The accessories that are a must include, battery chargers, memory card, camera case etc. If you have to buy them separately, then choose a model that includes all at a good price.

If you are buying a camera just for a hobby and nothing serious, a point-and-shoot should do just fine as they are portable, light and easy to carry. If you want to go for a DSLR, always remember the size and weight aspect.

As cameras these days don’t come lower than 5 MP, it doesn’t really matter if yours is 14 MP or 16 MP. The main question to ask is, are you going to print the photos you are going to click? And if you are going to print them, how large do you want them? If you want to click normal sized photos, then anything above 4 MP should do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandchuck View Post
    for me a video camera not important, but DSLR with video camera are good

Thread Information