Canon Rebel and flash....

Printable View

• 09-06-2004, 09:31 AM
    Doug
    Canon Rebel and flash....
    OK I am thinking about getting the Canon Speedlite (420EX) Flash I am wondering if this is a good choice? Thanks for any input in this! Is there anything special I should be looking for? Can the Rebel do the TTL on this flash? Thanks!
  • 09-06-2004, 09:35 AM
    Doug
    I have the 300D if that makes a difference! Thanks again!
  • 09-16-2004, 01:47 AM
    mikishots
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
    OK I am thinking about getting the Canon Speedlite (420EX) Flash I am wondering if this is a good choice? Thanks for any input in this! Is there anything special I should be looking for? Can the Rebel do the TTL on this flash? Thanks!

The 420EX is a fine choice for this camera. The prices on these are coming down because of the new lineup of EX flashes coming out (the 580EX being one - egad, what a flash).<p>It is fully compatible with the Rebel, and TTL is supported.
  • 10-01-2004, 08:52 AM
    danbusler
    Re: Canon Rebel and flash....
    How about the Quantaray QDC-CN ?
  • 10-01-2004, 12:18 PM
    JeffHall
    I would NOT recommend the 420EX for this camera due to the lack of FEC, which the Rebel dearly needs. Unless you have the hacked firmware to enable it; then it is fine. I've heard good things about the Metz 54 units due to their own auto flash mode since E-TTL (1) is inconsistent.
  • 10-10-2004, 09:26 AM
    Christer
    I have the hacked firmware and the 420EX. I agree that if you can't set FEC it won't be a good match; when set to 0 I rarely get a really good exposure. For shorter ranges I leave it around -2/3 for most subjects and it works well there.

Here's a link that shows you some digital rebel flash shots with various FEC settings:
    http://host.whereuhiding.com:9080/ca...l_FEC_Test.htm