Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

This Canon or That Nikon - Advice

Someone in the family wants to get me a camera. Preferably from Costco.

I spend most time in the redwoods and other forest. Am fairly novice, but would like a camera from which I could get a few shots worth selling someday. Whether for posters, mugs, etc., after I improve.

Was looking at the Nikon D90 and a Canon Rebel EOS T2i

Wouldn't mind one with two lenses, like a T1i on page 2 of the Canon.

Here's the main Camera page to navigate to either Canon or Nikon:

Costco Main Camera Page

Now ... speed is not a huge issue for me. I don't care if a camera takes one frame in 2 seconds. But the quality is what I really am curious about.

Feelings? Ideas?

Thanks

Re: This Canon or That Nikon - Advice

Both produce excellent image quality. In fact: image quality is not the real difference between any of the current DSLR's, its just the niche feature sets that vary, and usually vary only very slightly.

I always try to emphasize the importance of a fast lens, preferably fixed. If you want versatility and convenience, a fast fixed lens often is better for the task than a slow zoom one (like the ones you've listed).

When I say 'Fast" I am not talking about burst rate or camera buffer speed or anything, the 'fast' I am talking about is a lens that lets in a lot more light than the lens you've listed, making them capable of higher shutter speeds in any given scene, much more flexible with lighting. A great starting point for a fast fixed lens is a 35mm f/1.8 or a 50mm f/1.8, also dirt cheap at $100 ($200 for the 35). These 'fast' lens also produce a significantly better picture, in resolution, distortion, and in depth of field control than the ones you've listed.

Between those, I like the build quality and interface of the D90 better, but, 6 in 1, you know. Not really a whole lot of difference otherwise, a more appropriate comparison would be the D5000 and T2i, or the D90 and 50D. Better noise performance vs more resolution - but even that is really splitting hairs.

You may also find the new Sony SLT's quite interesting, they are much better for video than either of those, and they don't use a reflex mirror so there is no loud clack with shutter release.

Thanks.

After reading some stuff, felt like my head was exploding. Head is contained now.

I think that lenses is the more challenging area for me to understand right now.

Last edited by mdvaden; 09-13-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Ended up getting the Canon T2i.

Its going to take a little more effort to learn the controls on this one than my last two smaller cameras. Some is similar, but plenty is not.

I took a dozen or so shots of stuff in the office tinkering, and most were suprisingly crisp considering I was fumbling through adjustments.

Dished-out for an extra battery too. Will have to remember to bring the charger when I go places now.

Skipped the kit and and bought the body with an 18 - 55mm lens. Will build from there.

Thanks again for feedback. I'll be reviting this post and a couple of others to make sure I chase down all the related information.

Thread Information