Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon 40D or Nikon D90?

Hey guys!
    Well, lately I've been searching for a DSLR camera and I'm having trouble with deciding which one to buy. I'm a student and therefor I don't have a big budget, so I'm looking for the best camera I can buy In a low price. As you can see I narrowd down my search to 2 cameras:
    Canon 40D & Nikon D90..

I want to know which one of the cameras is better? and what lens is the best for me?
    I'm not a begginer but I'm not a professional either. I want to get sharp photos with vivid colors. Also, I want a lens that works good at night & with low-light. Generally I prefer a lens that works pretty good with all kinds of shooting, but slightly better with portraits and macro.

I hope the information I gave about my needs will help you to answer me.
    Thank you.

Re: Canon 40D or Nikon D90?

As you need good low light ability you should go for the Nikon D90.

- The D90 goes up to a maximum of 6400 ISO with 3200 ISO being very usable (it's the same sensor and image processor as the Nikon D300 that I have).

- The Canon 40D is previous generation technology and only goes up to 3200 ISO. It's a more pro-level body with up to 6 frames/second but you haven't said you need that.

Nikon also has the advantage in lenses with the best bang-for-the-buck:

- the 35mm f1.8 is cheap and a good walk-around low-light standard lens (no Canon equivalent)
    - the 50mm f1.8 is a cheap low-light telephoto
    - if you want a really versatile lens usable in low light then the 18-105VR is supposed to be really good (and cheap - it's almost given away in the D90 kit). It isn't really a low-light lens (maximum aperture f3.5-5.6) but the VR (vibration reduction) helps you to get a sharp picture at slow shutter speeds - as long as the subject isn't moving. (No direct equivalent from Canon)

There are lots of other lenses possible (second-hand 85mm f1.8, 18-200VR..) but they are all more expensive.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Low light isn't my first priority, but it is quit important to me.
    Which lens will be cheap and good for macro/portraits?

Thank you so much!!

I'm not a big macro fan. By "macro" we mean something really small like insects or jewelry. The 50mm won't focus that close. You really want a 60mm or a 90mm macro lens, but they aren't cheap..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information