Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Converting Olymups RAW images...Update

I have a bit of an update on my situation. Thanks to the help of a very good friend, to whom I was able to speak with on the phone rather than just trying to get it all out in this typed format, I was able to find the program, that I think best suits my needs. That being Adobe Lightroom. I had given it a try previously, but it frustrated me, and I gave up to search out other programs. However, my friend, who has some experience using Lightroom, was able to instruct me in the parts I was having trouble with, and now everything seems to be falling into place. I really seem to be adapting quickly to a new workflow, and what might actually be a better RAW conversion program.

One thing that I had brought up to my friend is that I was getting very upset with the fact that I could not shoot in dedicated RAW mode. I had to shoot RAW+JPEG in order to have a usable file to work with. this slowed down my camera and took up extra space on my card. Depending on how big of a JPEG I chose, and what compression rate I had it set at, I could lose as many as 10-15 shots per cardfull. That is a lot of images!

At anyrate I was starting to have second thoughts about the system that I have just bought into, mind you, not because of the equipment, which is superb, but rather because of software support, or te lack there of. I was thinking about selling my new camera and again switching brands, just to have a RAW format that was more compatable. I had not thought about it at the time, but my ever alert friend pointed out that in this new age of digital imaging, choosing your gear on the basis of post prosscessing software may have to become an issue. Not the overriding main issue of course, but an important consideration nontheless. If I had for one second tought that my .ORF files would not be recognized by PS-CS's ACR I most likely would have chosen another camera. I would have atleast given the subject a LOT more research.

Of course none of this really matters to the photographer who can afford the best and newest of everthing, but for the other 99% of us camera guys & gals, we will have to take these things into consideration. In fact, I already have to think about the fact that Lightroom is at this point just a public beta version. Eventually, sooner or later (later I hope), they will release the full version to the market, and as I have been told, the public beta version will cease to function.

I just thought it was worth putting out there.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Converting Olymups RAW images...Update

Being new I find all of this confusing. If I hear you right Olympus RAW files can not be read by older or some software. Like Oympus has invented a second generation RAW file, if so this bothers me as well. A RAW file should be just that a,RAW file. They do offer a software conversion http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sup_studio-license.asp , but I am not sure of the price. I am also amazed that as powerful as PhotoShop is it can't work with the file. But on the other hand if the new RAW file is something that is going to be common place across the board with all camera manufactors and the newer file is something that is better and easier to work with I don't mind the change. All software becomes obsolete sooner or later, it's just life. But for now the free Raw Shooter download seems to be working fine for me.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Being new I find all of this confusing. If I hear you right Olympus RAW files can not be read by older or some software. Like Oympus has invented a second generation RAW file, if so this bothers me as well. A RAW file should be just that a,RAW file. They do offer a software conversion http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sup_studio-license.asp , but I am not sure of the price. I am also amazed that as powerful as PhotoShop is it can't work with the file. But on the other hand if the new RAW file is something that is going to be common place across the board with all camera manufactors and the newer file is something that is better and easier to work with I don't mind the change. All software becomes obsolete sooner or later, it's just life. But for now the free Raw Shooter download seems to be working fine for me.
    Greg
    All RAW file formats are proprietary except for .DNG, which is new and not yet widely excepted. In fact, only two cameras currently shoot in the .DNG format, the Pentax K10D and one of the Leicas, though I forget which.

The problem that I was faced with is the fact that on my Mac I have the last generation Photoshop program, CS, or 8.0. The current Gen being CS2, or 9.0. The current CS2 ACR plugin can read .ORF files from the E-500, but the last version of the ACR plugin available for CS could not. So in effect, Photoshop can work with the E-500's .ORF files, if you have the most recent version. Which I do not. The problem for me lies in the fact that I can not afford the latest version of Photoshop. I needed to rely on my current version for a while longer, but it would seem that Adobe, like many other software manufacturers, are taking the recent tact of not supporting older versions of thier own programs, in the hopes that it will force users to upgrade, and as a consequence, spend more money. Every manufacturer has their own RAW format. Canon=.CRW, Nikon=.NEF, Olympus=.ORF, etc... These formats are tweaked slightly form Gen to Gen, as processors change and technology moves forward. This is not likely to change any time soon, if ever. However, with the advent of standard formats, like .DNG, it looks like we may soon have our choice of RAW formats when we go to shoot.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    If I had for one second tought that my .ORF files would not be recognized by PS-CS's ACR I most likely would have chosen another camera. I would have atleast given the subject a LOT more research.
    You would find that the situation isn't much different for any camera currently being made.

Unless the camera uses DNG, ACR 2.4 won't support anything introduced in the past two years. Most new cameras will require the same workarounds as the E-500.

This is getting to be like the Microsoft and Computer/Software vendor vicious cycle. Newer OSs and bloated software forces one to continually upgrade your computer.

I hope Adobe isn't hoping on that train and not providing updates to older versions of software to support newer camera formats so you are forced to buy or pay for upgrades.

Upgrades.. upgrades.. upgrades... $$$... $$$... $$$!

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Stiegler
    You would find that the situation isn't much different for any camera currently being made.

Unless the camera uses DNG, ACR 2.4 won't support anything introduced in the past two years. Most new cameras will require the same workarounds as the E-500.
    Yeah that's a good point. Which is why I said it would be a concern for now on. but I should have mentoned it.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Usel

One correction to almo. You can open and correct .ORF files in Photoshop CS. You just have to go to olympus' web site and download the PS plugin. It's free! I use it on my iBook. the difference is you have to put the plugin in your Import/Export plugin folder, then use File -> Import in photoshop, but you get all the Raw capabilities. It works great. .ORF files can also be read by Capture One, Raw Developer (which is free), silkypix (which has a limited free version), Aperture, Lightroom, and Lightzone. they all have their advantages and I find myself using different programs for different reasons.

Thread Information