Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Canon D60 or nikon D7000 ???

There are a lot of differences? Because I was under the impression they were virtually clones of each other, as are most Canon/Nikons at any given price point.

"the choice is ultimately based on what you're looking to do with the camera."

How do you figure? They both have a carbon copy of each others specs list. There really is no feature differences. The Sony A77 on the other hand has a lot of unique features and specs, with unique advantages over these two cameras. Of course, its also a year newer.

They are both also almost identical in price for body only. The reason theres a $100-$200 price difference with the kit is that the 28-135 IS USM is a much better lens than the 18-105 that comes as a kit with the D7000.

*edit - though, unquestionably the Sony A77 is the winner for video recording. For some reason because the Sony isn't as popular of a brand name, people don't realize this. Its so funny how popularity can distort a persons thinking.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I am also going to be purchasing one of these cameras hopefully soon. I have been doing some research online for the past month and I am leaning toward the Nikon because I've read more reviews that make it seem like it has a little edge over the Canon. I have a few questions if anyone can help...

1. I've been trying to look at actual photos online that people have taken with both these camera and am floored how many of them look blurry to me. I've never owned a SLR camera and I'm hoping these images that look blurred are just because the user isn't experienced with the camera? Does this happen a lot, is it really hard to get a nice sharp image? I use a Sony camera that costs 1/4th the amount the body of these cameras cost and I have gotten super sharp images with it and would expect these expensive cameras to be way better. Your thoughts on that??

2. Since this is the first DSLR for me, I am clueless when it comes to lenses. I am also not going to be able to spend a fortune right away on all the great ones, I'm pushing it just buying the camera already, but I've been doing more and more with photography and want to continue to do more with a better camera. So what lenses do you recommend at first? I will be taking photos of people (would like to do more portraits) and the outdoors mostly (at first). Later on I'd like to get something specifically for macro because I'm obsessed with closeups, and something that would do well with action shots. Is there a lens you can use that works for all of these things, or do you have to buy specialized lenses for everything? Is there anywhere online to buy decent lenses at cheaper prices?

Thanks for any help you can give me, much appreciated!
    Michele

Oh one more thing, are these basically the only two cameras in this price range that are worth comparing? I haven't found any others?

I wonder if all this really matters since the OP started this thread on October 6, 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by laughlady99 View Post
    Oh one more thing, are these basically the only two cameras in this price range that are worth comparing? I haven't found any others?
    You can choose between Canon 60 D, Nikon D 7000 or Pentax K 5 (which has won Gold award). Pentax slightly expensive, I believe, is excellent! I have gone through all reviews and it appears Pentax K 5 has the best Dynamic Range besides being extremely good in low ISOs. Nikon D 7000 too is very very good with regard to still image quality. It has very good Dynamic Range and also clarity in low ISOs.

I just chose Canon 60 D because of its versatility in ergonomics, image quality and video quality PLUS its swivel LCD. I like its lens range and affordable price, too. At this level - call it upper entry OR prosumer - one loves to experiment on various fields of photography including videos (I presume !). Magic Lantern has opened an altogether new door, and has given an added advantage to 60 D. ML options are really wonderful and D 7000 doesn't have it.

D 7000's partial magnesium alloy body, dual memory slots, slightly increased customizable options didn't impress me much; but, 60 D's swivel LCD did. My friends who have bought 60 D have no complaints of back or front focusing; whereas, my Nikon friends told me that they had to fine tune AF micro-adjust to make their D 7000 autofocus better! I have a Nikon camera, but somehow, I always loved the crisp images Cannon produces. I have held both D 7000 and 60 D in my hands and I think 60 D fits better in my hand.

You will not regret buying any of these 3 cameras; all are excellent. You better see all the 3 cameras, hold them in your hands and feel them before making a choice. Don't bother too much on core technical issues viz; one or two stops better DR; a tad better in low ISO; etc. I wish you all the best and good photography which is what finally counts!

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
    I wonder if all this really matters since the OP started this thread on October 6, 2010?
    LOL, yes, quite. Amazing it is still alive. Lets keep this thing going guys.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information