Canon D20 lcd

Printable View

• 08-05-2005, 02:51 PM
    hagrock
    Canon D20 lcd
    I just got my Canon D20 today. Am I correct that you cannot use the LCD as a viewfinder?
  • 08-05-2005, 06:25 PM
    another view
    Re: Canon D20 lcd
    20D? That would be correct. DSLR's don't work the same way as point & shoot digital cameras. IMO, there are very few times that this really would be handy when you've got a great optical viewfinder.
  • 08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
    Liz
    When you get used to the viewfinder, you'll not want to go back to the LCD. Honestly! :cool:

BTW, I felt the same way for a while, but now I don't like using a LCD in my P&S which I hardly ever use. You'll love the 20D. But remember, there is a big learning curve when going from P&S to DSLR.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrock
    I just got my Canon D20 today. Am I correct that you cannot use the LCD as a viewfinder?

• 08-06-2005, 11:30 AM
    Norfindel
    And to be honest, people taking photographs looking at the lcd with his arms extended just look ridiculous, don't you think? :D
  • 08-08-2005, 08:15 AM
    Lionheart
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrock

Correct. The reason is that the mirror that directs the image through the lens into the prism and viewfinder is in the way of the sensor until the image is snapped. Then there is the shutter curtain that only opens during the exposure. Point and shoot camera sensors are on all the time and relay the image to the lcd and are designed to operate that way, unlike DSLR's.
  • 08-09-2005, 10:23 PM
    EOSThree
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Norfindel
    And to be honest, people taking photographs looking at the lcd with his arms extended just look ridiculous, don't you think? :D

Yes don't they? I started with a 110 and moved to a film SLR, when I switched to digital with a point and shoot, it was only natural for me to use the viewfinder, I have never used my LCD on any of my digital cameras for anything other than checking the histogram.