Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon 5D or stay with my K10D ??

Hi. Am new to this forum lark so please excuse any mix ups I will probably make!!. I have at present a Pentax K10D with various Lenses as you will see in my profil. I am currently taking photos of hotels, Businesses & Trial / Moto cross Events. The Hotel shots I edit in Keynotes and then into DVD with background music etc for the client, I also make digital catalogues for companys and their reps to use on PC when on the road etc etc. I want to start getting into weddings and Comunions etc. I have been told by varios Canon D5 owners that the camera I have is OK for Snap shots or using to put under the leg of the bed to hold it up, very witty from their side eh . They tell me that the canon D5 with a Canon 24/70 and 28/300 will do all the work I will ever need to do?. This could all set me back about 6000 Dolars or 6000 Euros. I have taken some nice shots with the pentax although indoor work with flash does seem a little poor in quality. Is this investment worth all the money?. I could by from sigma the same lenses and have the same set up. Can someone tell me where is the gain factor, Am I going to fall on my back when I see the images froma Canon D5 against my K10D this is my dilema, for the same money I could by a Good Video camera and earn extra money or should I go for this canon D5 all the reporters talk about. Thanks to anyone who can give me any pointers
    The Image is our imagination the better the imagination the better the image, the camera is only the tool to portrait our imagination for others to enjoy.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Canon 5D or stay with my K10D ??

Quote Originally Posted by Kevse1961
    Hi. Am new to this forum lark so please excuse any mix ups I will probably make!!. I have at present a Pentax K10D with various Lenses as you will see in my profil. I am currently taking photos of hotels, Businesses & Trial / Moto cross Events. The Hotel shots I edit in Keynotes and then into DVD with background music etc for the client, I also make digital catalogues for companys and their reps to use on PC when on the road etc etc. I want to start getting into weddings and Comunions etc. I have been told by varios Canon D5 owners that the camera I have is OK for Snap shots or using to put under the leg of the bed to hold it up, very witty from their side eh . They tell me that the canon D5 with a Canon 24/70 and 28/300 will do all the work I will ever need to do?. This could all set me back about 6000 Dolars or 6000 Euros. I have taken some nice shots with the pentax although indoor work with flash does seem a little poor in quality. Is this investment worth all the money?. I could by from sigma the same lenses and have the same set up. Can someone tell me where is the gain factor, Am I going to fall on my back when I see the images froma Canon D5 against my K10D this is my dilema, for the same money I could by a Good Video camera and earn extra money or should I go for this canon D5 all the reporters talk about. Thanks to anyone who can give me any pointers
    Although I am a Canon user, this is pure BS. You existing camera is more than enough for event photography. The camera you have is capable of more than you can take advantage of.

What does "OK for snapshots" mean? The difference between snapshots and "art" has nothing to do with the camera you are using, it is the skills of the photographer i.e., you. Holding up the leg of a bed? Not with someone on it, few cameras are that strong. Flash not the best? Buy a new flash unit, don't replace an entire system. Use Sigma lenses? Why? The lenses have much more to do with the image than the camera does.

Look, if you have a lust you can't control for a new Canon and money to burn for Canon "L" lenses, go for it. If you are just interested in getting into event photography, stick with the quality equipment you have now.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Mike,

Just gave you some excellent advise. You already have a load of money tied up in kit. Look at re-using what you have and improving what needs to be improved.

I have a 5D and as Mike said its the photographer not the camera that takes the photo's.

If you need a 35mm sensor then you have to spend the money and you have limited options - if you have the money then you can't go wrong with the 5D.

My Canon Powershot Pro 1 takes as good a photo as the 5D - I just can't print it as big :lol:

I wouldn't listen to anyone who knocks your camera because their probably bigots or envious of your pictures.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Hi mwfaneli2. Well you seem to like pentax!. The coments I made about holding up beds was what the PRESS photographers tolf me to do with the camera as they think the only thing it is good for is holing up a bed when the leg is broken instead of a few bricks!!. I have taken some nice shots with the camera personaly, but feel that maybe there is a big difference in image quality compared to a canon D5. For example. I have a friend who works in a Large city townhall and he has worked for the as a photographer for 30 years. He works with all the top end Mac gear and has a studo envied by many. The photos taken with his D5 and my Pentax K10D are visibly different, although taken with the same settings, same angle, same day. I don't feel like splashing out loads of money on a canon but there again I want to get into wedding photography and maybe I need to buy better lenses as I see other peoles work is more sharper and the canon seems to have this edge over the Pentax when it comes to sharper and cristal clear images. Maybe I am getting a Hangup??. maybe where you are pentax is aceptable but here, if you turn up at a wedding with a pentax to take pro photos they will kick you out the church, but, every country has it's likes and dislikes. All I wanted was a view from other people from other parts of the world about the pentax against the canon. All the best.
    The Image is our imagination the better the imagination the better the image, the camera is only the tool to portrait our imagination for others to enjoy.

Hi Roger. Well it seems as though everyone thinks I should stick with the Pentax K10D. It is good to get feedback from you guys. I am in spain where I have lived for 20 years but will always be an out of towner to a certain point although I speak mainly Spanish as apose to English. Over here the rule of thumb is don't talk to any other photographer at an event as but just glance at what gear he is using and then look away, crazy eh!!. I went to a basket ball game where the photographers where mainly using canon D1 or D5 and a couple of Nikons, when they saw me with a Pentax they all went down the other end of the photo area. I don't mind all this BS as it is water off a ducks back. All I am interested in is quality images and making the clients happy and enjoying my work. I could spend some money on the 2 lenses 24/70 and the 28/300 and see how these workout leaving me some cash in the bank for a Video Camera for wedding work. . All the best. Kevin. PS Nice shot of the fireworks

Utter BS. I have seen top notch photographers do wonders with Pentax's and I personally love their lenses. True the Canon Eos 5d is more rugged but don't let the camera hogs intimidate you. If you really want to "look" (functionally the difference is only battery life) professional get a battery grip for it. Actually, that's not a bad idea cause you can go through the battery quite quickly during a wedding. Stick to your camera and maybe invest in a lens. Definitely get a good wide angle as I tend to use it a lot in event work, and I think you will too. You might also want a more professional strobe and external flash system (for the more...well paid wedding shoots) to get some nice indoor shots. If the "L"uddites bother you just show them some of your best shots and they'll keep quiet.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

No offense to the 5D but, tell those press guys where they can stick it. Need convincing of what your K10D can do? Take a look a benjikan's gallery here. Still not convinced? He is still ranked #1 on Olaphoto. As the others said, it's the photographer, not the camera. If you want to invest in anything, maybe look to upgrade some glass. I would stick with the system you have and work on perfecting your technique.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

It sounds to me like you have a lot of camera snobs in Spain. Like others have said, the photos are made by the photographer, not the camera.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thread Information