Canon 550d or 60d

Printable View

• 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM
    cheeseman107
    Canon 550d or 60d
    hey im looking to buy a dslr that i can use for mainly video. but i also want to take photos occasionally . i want to do alot of surf photography and motorbike along with skating. so many sport type photography.
    i was looking alot at the 550d and was pretty confident i was going to buy that. but i saw the 60d and began to look around at that. im not too sure which is better as they both seem like they have similar features.
    are there any main differences in these cameras and does anyone know what the video quality is like or which is better?

thanks
  • 11-11-2010, 07:08 AM
    djkmann
    Re: Canon 550d or 60d
    I wrote a lot about this comparison on my Wordpress blog Picturing Change, if you would like to have a look at that.

Since you are interested in action situations, I would highly recommend that you go with the 60D. The 550D and 60D are very similar in many ways, including the fact that they share very similar - if not the same - sensors, so the image quality will be identical. The video quality is the same as well. What the 60D offers is some additional capabilities, such as its ability to shoot 5.3 frames per second in continuous shooting mode, where the 550D shoots only 3 fps. That is much better for you sports and action needs. The 60D has more accurate autofocus points as well - all are cross-type where-as in the 550D only the center AF point is the more accurate cross-type. The 60D also has additional buttons, controls, and customization options to really take control of how the camera operates. I've written eBooks for each of these cameras, Your World 60D and T2i Experience, which could help get you up and running with them quickly - see here: http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/
  • 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM
    cheeseman107
    thanks alot. the 'picturing change' blog helped me alot.
    i think i am going to go with the 60D.
  • 11-20-2010, 09:58 PM
    Anbesol
    If video is your primary purpose, then the SLT-A33 and A55 are the best options, which utilize semi-transperant mirrors which provides for full time, super-fast autofocus during video recording. These sony's are the only ones that do this, the Nikon D7000 does this as well, but uses a contrast detect AF system instead which is a bit slower.

Anyway, if video is your main use - I would not look at anything other than those 3 at all.