• 11-27-2007, 05:10 AM
    viewfinder.2007
    Canon 40D, Nikon D40X or Olympus E3?
    If you are beginner or new to digital photography which one will you like to have?

If you are an amateur in digital photography which DSLR camera you prefer or have in your photo gears?

If you are a professional photographer which DSLR camera will you choose to have for all kinds of photography events / occasions?

Happy clicking!

ViewFinder 2007
    You never shoot alone in the world of photography.
  • 12-09-2007, 06:48 PM
    Trailrider
    Re: Canon 40D, Nikon D40X or Olympus E3?
    40D, hands down. www.jonwoodphoto.com
  • 12-09-2007, 07:33 PM
    jeffp
    i dont understand this question. the D40x is a $550 body, the 40D is $1300, and the E3 is $1700. they arent even in the same leagues as each other. the more i see posts the more i think olympus hired this guy to push their cameras.
  • 12-09-2007, 08:11 PM
    deckcadet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by viewfinder.2007
    If you are beginner or new to digital photography which one will you like to have?

D40x

Quote:

If you are an amateur in digital photography which DSLR camera you prefer or have in your photo gears?
    None of the above. I'd prefer the Nikon D80 or D200/300 at that level. IF I had to choose, Canon 40D.

Quote:

If you are a professional photographer which DSLR camera will you choose to have for all kinds of photography events / occasions?
    Not the E3, honestly, out of those I'd still pick the 40D, a few of my fellow newspaper shooters use them and love them. I'd stick with a Nikon D3 or D300.
  • 12-10-2007, 08:53 AM
    Photo-John
    Olympus designed the E3 to compete with cameras like Canon's 40D and the Nikon D300. The D40x is definitely not a competitor. Whether it can compete or not remains to be seen. I have used it and am very impressed. But I would need to use it more to really form a serious opinion. It also depends a lot on what you're shooting. I just bought a 40D because I wanted the 6.5 FPS frame rate for action sports where I need to shoot tight sequences. The E-3 can't compete there. Olympus claims they have the fastest AF in the E-3 and my experience so far is that it's very quick and accurate. But I need to compare head-to-head with the 40D and the 1D Mark III to really know where it stands. Where I think it excells in studio photography. I have never really used Live View before because it didn't really offer me anything. But with the fully articulated LCD on the E-3, I can do tabletop product photography without having to bend over and look through the viewfinder. I love that. And of course, there's the built-in image stabilization. I love that for outdoor photography.

I have a Nikon D300 sitting here, ready for studio testing. I fully expect it to amaze me. Again, I can't say yet how it measures up against the E-3. But we'll see.

For me, the strength of the Four Thirds system is in the compact size. For this reason, I still prefer the diminuitive E-510. But for people jsut starting out the E-3 is a real and powerful alternative. And it's nice that we have so many excellent options available right now.
  • 12-10-2007, 01:44 PM
    physasst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Olympus designed the E3 to compete with cameras like Canon's 40D and the Nikon D300. The D40x is definitely not a competitor. Whether it can compete or not remains to be seen. I have used it and am very impressed. But I would need to use it more to really form a serious opinion. It also depends a lot on what you're shooting. I just bought a 40D because I wanted the 6.5 FPS frame rate for action sports where I need to shoot tight sequences. The E-3 can't compete there. Olympus claims they have the fastest AF in the E-3 and my experience so far is that it's very quick and accurate. But I need to compare head-to-head with the 40D and the 1D Mark III to really know where it stands. Where I think it excells in studio photography. I have never really used Live View before because it didn't really offer me anything. But with the fully articulated LCD on the E-3, I can do tabletop product photography without having to bend over and look through the viewfinder. I love that. And of course, there's the built-in image stabilization. I love that for outdoor photography.

I have a Nikon D300 sitting here, ready for studio testing. I fully expect it to amaze me. Again, I can't say yet how it measures up against the E-3. But we'll see.

For me, the strength of the Four Thirds system is in the compact size. For this reason, I still prefer the diminuitive E-510. But for people jsut starting out the E-3 is a real and powerful alternative. And it's nice that we have so many excellent options available right now.

Just out of curiosity, where would you place the A 700, there was some thought I think from reading online, that Sony designed that to be a competitor to the D300....Just curious.:confused:
  • 12-20-2007, 12:08 AM
    viewfinder.2007
    Hi to all,

Firstly, thank you to all your inputs and feedback to this thread. Your constructive inputs helps me to evaluate the new Olympus E3 in the market through your personal and professional sharing and experiences in digital photography.

I just found that in this forum, there are many owners and users of popular Canon, Nikon, Olympus and other good DSLR cameras. Even the P&S compact cameras. Though there were no enough clearer systematic comparison on product technology of each model and brand they all contribute to balance and weights to my survey of my two preferred model and brand of DSLR cameras - D300 or E3. I neither a promoter or in connection of any DSLR camera manufacturers. I'm just like those thousands of interested owner or users of DSLR camera who are exploring more in the world of digital photography. Pros and cons are shared and features with few evidence or sample in this thread. But found interesting shares of inputs from other sites ... like dpreview.com that could add more weight to same DSLRs. Technology wise, both are good engineered DSLR cameras with unique features that defines their capacity and performance in every kinds of photography. Why not Canon or Pentax or Sony? The quality of photos and performance of camera will depend to preferences of the individual enduser or photographer's skills and experience.

Again thank to all.