Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Is the kit lens for the new Canon 40d any good?

or should i just use the money for a better general purpose lens? which one?

Re: Is the kit lens for the new Canon 40d any good?

Which kit lens? There are two EOS 40D kits. One has the 28-135mm IS and the other has the EF-S 17-85mm IS. They're both good lenses. They aren't pro lenses - but they're still good lenses. They're better than the kit lens that comes with the 400D / XTi. The 28-135 IS was one of the first lenses I bought and I used it for years. It made me a fair amount of money. The 17-85mm IS is basically a digital version of the 28-135. It's an EF-S lens, made for Canon's smaller sensor digital SLRs and equivalent to 28-135mm on a 35mm film camera (or full-frame DSLR). There are plenty of reviews for both lenses in our review section:

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Reviews >>
    Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Reviews >>

Between those two lenses, I would probably recommend the 17-85 over the 28-135mm lens. The 28-135mm doesn't offer real wide-angle performance on the 40D because of the 1.6x digital crop factor. It's basically equivalent to a 45-216mm lens on a 35mm film camera. So if you want to shoot wide at all, you will be unhappy. But you do get great telephoto performance. The 17-85mm lens makes a great all-purpose lens, but doesn't have the reach of the 28-135mm IS. But keep in mind that it's an EF-S lens and won't work with any of Canon's larger sensored cameras like the EOS 5D or the EOS-1D bodies.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information