Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Canon 400D or Nikon D60?

Hi, I'm going to buy my first DSLR this Christmas (though I'll probably buy it in January), and I don't know whether to go for the 400D or the D60. I am short on funds so I will probably stick with the kit lens for quite a while, but I may buy a 50mm prime lens. I will be holding the camera for most of the time (I don't want to lug a tripod everywhere), and I will use it for general photography, sometimes zooming in to the maximum the lens will allow. It is quite likely I will take some macro photos as well. Basically I want a DSLR with very good image quality. I live in Brunei (little country in South East Asia), and DSLRs are quite expensive as they are all imported, so I will almost certainly buy it from Amazon and collect it from my relatives in the UK the next time I go to visit them.

Re: Canon 400D or Nikon D60?

Well I'm a Nikon user, but both cameras are very good. If I was you I would check your local stores and see if you have better local support for either Nikon or Canon. Make sure you have the funds for at least two memory cards and a spare battery when you purchase your camera.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

The 400D is out of production. This means that for the same price as the D60 you get a DSLR with more features but older technology:

- 400D has more autofocus points - useful for sports
    - 400D LCD screen is smaller
    - 400D image processor is older
    - 400D takes Compactflash cards not SDHC (Compactflash is only an advantage if you have other cameras that use this format. SDHC cards are really cheap and have lots of uses)
    - kit lens 18-55 that comes with the 400D is less good than the kit lens with the D60 with usually has VR as well

Both are good choices - at the same price. If one is cheaper that could be the way to choose..
    Last edited by Franglais; 12-21-2008 at 03:56 AM.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Whichever you decide on, make sure you look at our dealer feedback forum before sending anyone your credit card number.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

With the D60 you can only use AFS lenses, whcih if you don't plan on buying a lot of lenses could be a good thing. With the Canon you will be able to use EF-S lenses, which would include the 50mm 1.8 which everyone should have. You can get the 50mm in Nikon, but you won't be able to autofocus unless you get the AFS version which is a lot more money.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thank you all for your quick responses. If the 400D is out of production, does that mean it will be hard to get it repaired? And is the older technology a big problem? And with the kit lens for the 400D, there is no image stabilisation, is that a problem?

Oh and the Nikon kit lens comes with VR.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman
    Thank you all for your quick responses. If the 400D is out of production, does that mean it will be hard to get it repaired? And is the older technology a big problem? And with the kit lens for the 400D, there is no image stabilisation, is that a problem?
    The 400D was replaced only 6 months ago. No problem getting it repaired.
    By "older technology" I'm talking basically about the image processor and specifically about the noise treatment at high ISO. The 400D was already good and the D60 might be slightly better but I wouldn't say this was a problem

Image stabilisation is a definite plus for low-light situations. I have it on the 16-85 lens I'm using with my D60 and I was amazed at how sharp my nightime pictures were last weekend.
    Charles

I recently purchased a D60. It will reach me in the next couple of days. I am very new to this and not at all familiar with the components of the SLR camera. So guys, please bear with me for any stupidity in my questions.

I have the following doubts.

1. What is the commonly used SD card memory size in SLR camera.?: Is 2 GB enough.? Or should I buy a 8GB card.?

2. They will be shipping two different lenses. one is 18-55 VR LENS and the other one is AF-S DX 18-55MM F3.5-5.6G VR LENS. I have no idea about the difference between these two, and what is the selection criteria (like day/night..).

If anybody can help me by answering these questions, then I can start taking high quality SLR pictures.. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by photolover
    I recently purchased a D60. It will reach me in the next couple of days. I am very new to this and not at all familiar with the components of the SLR camera. So guys, please bear with me for any stupidity in my questions.

I have the following doubts.

1. What is the commonly used SD card memory size in SLR camera.?: Is 2 GB enough.? Or should I buy a 8GB card.?

2. They will be shipping two different lenses. one is 18-55 VR LENS and the other one is AF-S DX 18-55MM F3.5-5.6G VR LENS. I have no idea about the difference between these two, and what is the selection criteria (like day/night..).

If anybody can help me by answering these questions, then I can start taking high quality SLR pictures.. Thanks in advance
    1. 2GB is enough to do hundreds of JPG's, and 8GB is enough to more than 2000. If you're going to shoot RAW then an 8GB card is a good idea (allows you to do 580 according to my camera). Don't worry about getting the greatest, fastest card - the D60 can't shoot fast enough to need one.

2. There is no difference between the two lenses you mention, the f3.5-5.6G stuff is just Nikon's full name for the 18-55 VR.

BTW about the "high quality SLR pictures" thing - it takes more than a good camera to take good pictures. Be patient at first. Learn how to use the tool..
    Charles

Thanks dude for the clarifications. :thumbsup:

Thread Information