Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon 350D, "Error 99" and lens upgrading....

Hi

New member here, seeking some advice.

I have recently purchased a Canon EOS 350D (Rebel XT?). One of the main reasons I chose the camera was because I thought I would be able to use two EOS lenses I already had. However since using the camera I have encountered what I now know is the infamous "Error 99" problem, when using the two old lenses (no problem with the lens that came with the camera).

I have read around and there seems to be a great deal of confusion about the cause of "Error 99" (I think its pretty rubbish of Canon to have an error code that is not easily attributable to a particular error!). Anyway one of the suggestions I came across was to get older lenses re-chipped, as then they should be compatible with the tech in a new DSLR. I have spoken to SIGMA who say they can do this at quite a reasonable price.

I was wondering whether anyone here has had similar problems which have been resolved by getting an older lens re-chipped. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Re: Canon 350D, "Error 99" and lens upgrading....

That advice is the same I have read in many other photography websites that I have visited, eg, photosig, dpreview.com as examples. Sigma is fully aware of the problem as are Canon and this seems to have resolved most of the issues I have seen from peoples posts.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juniorbonner
    I have read around and there seems to be a great deal of confusion about the cause of "Error 99" (I think its pretty rubbish of Canon to have an error code that is not easily attributable to a particular error!). Anyway one of the suggestions I came across was to get older lenses re-chipped, as then they should be compatible with the tech in a new DSLR. I have spoken to SIGMA who say they can do this at quite a reasonable price.
    The need to rechip Sigma lenses is well known. I have no idea why Sigma has this problem. By the way, its not limited to digital cameras. Sigma used to do this for free, I'm surprised they are going to charge you something regardless of how reasonable. I quess that's one of the chances you take with 3rd party lenses. Sigma does a good job on this so its really not a big deal.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thanks guys

I'll get Sigma to rechip the lenses. they did say they would do it for free if I could provide proof of purchase, but since I brought them second hand I dont have this.

Thread Information