Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Noob question

Question Noob question

Can someone explain for me why a lens on a dslr has a different mm rating then with a film slr? What differnece does it matter what the body is, should not the mm rating be the same on the lens?

AI have the n80 with lenses. If the ratings are differnet for digital, can I use my current lenses on a dslr when/if I purchase one?

Confused....
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Focal Lengths

Quote Originally Posted by photo101
    Can someone explain for me why a lens on a dslr has a different mm rating then with a film slr? What differnece does it matter what the body is, should not the mm rating be the same on the lens?

AI have the n80 with lenses. If the ratings are differnet for digital, can I use my current lenses on a dslr when/if I purchase one?

Confused....
    The focal length of the lens does not change. That is an inherent chracteristic of the optics.

What you are seeing are the "35mm equivalent" values. When you put a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera, an APS-sized digital sensor, a medium format camera, etc. the focal length is exactly the same but the field of view changes. As most photographers are used to thinking in terms of 35mm cameras, advertisers try to give you a rough idea of what you will see when using something that is not 35mm.

For example, a 45mm lens on a 6x7 camera is wide angle, on a 35mm camera it is a normal, on an APS DSLR it is a mild telephoto.

Clear as mud?
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli

Clear as mud?
    Yes, it is clear as mud now. hehe
    So my 300mm lens would be a super zoom for digital?
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Yes - a 300 will be a 450 on many cameras (based on 1.5 crop factor). Another advantage here - if you used a 1.5 teleconverter to get this you'd lose a stop. Because you're not actually changing focal lengths, you don't lose a stop. Down side is on the wide angle lenses, 20mm just isn't very wide on my DSLR (Fuji S2 with 1.5 crop factor).

You'll hear alot of names and terms to describe this: crop factor, magnification, 35mm equivalent - but "crop" comes closest to describing what happens. My 20mm lens still has the perspective of a 20mm lens but the angle of view is smaller.

>So my 300mm lens would be a super zoom for digital?

Yes, if it is of good quality! Digital cameras show the differences of good and bad lenses.

Uwe
    www.outbackphoto.com
    www.colors-by-nature.com

Thanks for the info. Now if I just could find the cash to buy one.
    Jared

Thread Information