Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon 10d or Nikon d40

I'm planning on buying my first slr. I've only shot with point and shoots, but I've shot over 10,000 pics, and know a bit about cameras. Anyways, I was wondering which I should get since they are similar in price.

I'd mostly be shooting landscapes and maybe portraits (I think), but general use as well.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Re: Canon 10d or Nikon d40

Take the D40. The specs of the 10D look better on paper (nicer body, more autofocus points) but the image processor is really old, there were problems with the autofocus and it's been out of production for more than 5 years so you'd probably get a refurbished one.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Canon 10d or Nikon d40

I agree with Franglais. The D40 is a nice little camera, that's what I use, and I'm very happy with the results. I think the D40 is technically discontinued now, but there are lots of companies that still have it in stock, and probably have good deals. If you can afford the extra $200, consider picking up the Nikkor 35mm 1.8 AFS lens, since you said you may want to do some portrait work. It's a great lens, it works well in low light, and it works well for portraits. Be sure to post your decision and your opinion, once you choose!
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Thread Information