Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Can you point me in the right direction

yes another camera rec needed.

I am still using film. I protested the digital thing as long as I could, but it just isn't working for me anymore. I have recently moved and there are no good labs in my area. I have found I really do love using photoshop, so I am spending at minimum $13 on a roll of film plus processing and scanning, the time I spend doing all of this extra work, etc. My photos are always good, but the idea of knowing instantly that I have a good shot really appeals to me. I have small children and I can't go back and reshoot those milestones by using my current methods. I shoot a lot of film to make sure i get those perfect shots, so I probably use 2-3 rolls per month typically, and on a birthday month or holiday I may shoot as many as 5. So I am guessing i go through 40 rolls of film per year, and at $13 a roll that is over $500 ANNUALLY wasted.

I am trying to convince my husband that it is a good idea to upgrade, but he has a hard time paying that $500 in one lump sum, and doesn't mind so much that it is spread over the course of a year. So I am trying to go digital on a tight budget, but I don't just want any old piece of plastic with a memory card.

Currently I have an Olypmus I-50 and an old Canon A-1. The Olympus is my main camera since it is much easier to get quick photos of my kiddos, and my husband can also use it without confusion. I do use the A-1 quite a bit too for obvious advantages over the other.

Here are the two scenarios I am looking at -

a high end point and shoot - like the Powershot S3. - this is still better than my i-50 and I could always have my A-1 on backup if I ever felt the need for a higher zoom.

an older used version of a decent dslr that I could buy lenses for over time that would be compatible with a newer, better body eventually. Right now I am thinking something in the Rebel family, but I know those are very popular and I am ok going with a less "trendy" camera as long as the quality is there and I could upgrade the body and keep the same lenses down the road.

The high end point and shoot is something I could get sooner but i would really love a DSLR. Are there any good cameras that might fit one of my two scenarios above that I should be on the lookout for? I am totally fine buying used equipment at this point and the less it costs, the easier it will be to convince my tight husband...

THANKS!

Do It!

I bought my first digital SLR, a 4-megapixel Canon EOS 1D, about 4 years ago. I kept my 35mm SLR because I thought I'd need it for "serious" work. I was wrong. I never used it again and now my dad has it. Once you start using a digital SLR I think you'll find the quality is actually better than film. Unless you're getting the very, very best scans and you really know what you're doing, it's much easier to get the best quality from a digital SLR file. And I think that digital SLR files deliver better quality over film - no matter what. I'm not some close-minded digital-only guy, either. I've been in the photo business on and off for about 20 years and I've worked with all types of images - even 8x10 sheet film. I love digital and I think you're doing the right thing.

Here's a list of reasons you should switch to a digital SLR (this is for your husband).

1) Better ultimate image quality
    2) Instant feedback means getting the shot right
    3) Histogram display means better exposures
    4) You'll save money in the long run
    5) Faster camera to print time
    6) You'll need to make the switch at some point - this is a good time
    7) He'll make you happy

I think getting a used camera is a great idea. Since digital technology has moved so fast, a lot of people have chronic upgraditis. You can benefit from that. The previous two generations of 6 and 8-megapixel DSLRs are excellent. You can buy a used camera now and begin investing in a system. Whatever used camera you buy will have excellent image quality, regardless. The Digital Rebel cameras are great, although I'd recommend avoiding the first one and buying the XT. It's a much better camera. If you aren't stuck on Canon, and since you don't already own any lenses that will work, take a look around. All of the manufacturers are making good stuff. Consider the system you'll be investing in and not just the best camera price you can find. Here's a link to our digital SLR guide. It will give you some ideas of what to look for:

Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

That guide needs to be updated. Keep in mind that Sony now has a digital SLR, Pentax has a bunch of new stuff that's looking very good, and the current resolution standard is 10 megapixels. Other than that, everything in that guide should be current,

Let us know if you have more questions. I really believe that it's time to make the move to digital. You won't be an early adopter now. It's established and the prices have come down enough to make it a cost-effective decision, too. Good luck with the husband
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Can you point me in the right direction

Thank you soo much!! I will take a look at that now.

I truly appreciate your time to explain it all!! :thumbsup:

Re: Can you point me in the right direction

Thanks again John. I showed your post to my husband and he is definitely coming around. Right now I am looking into all my options as far as which dslr systems to be on the lookout for and i hope to narrow down to two or three that I would be happy with so I am not so overwhelmed looking everywhere for cameras.

THANKS SOO MUCH!

Thread Information