• 03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
    inetsupergrrl
    Can you help me understand what I can and can't do with my camera?
    Hi,

I am feeling really dumb, so I hope you'll talk down to me, lol!

I have a Fuji Fine Pix S2 Pro, a Nikon SB-80 flash and a Nikkor 28-200 mm lens.

I really want to take pics of my nieces and nephews - those lovely up-close pics of baby feet, or faces.

I just cannot get close enough. I think I *might* be able to get a bit closer if I could shoot manually, but when I set my cam on manual, and try to turn the focus ring on my lens, it feels like I'm working against it's mechanics, that I'm breaking it. Am I doing something wrong? The instructions that came with this lens were woefully unhelpful.

I wouldn't mind buying a new lens - one that would allow me to get a little closer, but I'm at a loss for which one to buy. I bought the 28-200mm because I read that it would be a good general lens, and I think it has been that. But if I truly can't get any closer then it's time to get a new specific-use lens. Can you recommend a good one?

And while we're at it, how 'bout a wide angle lens?

I mostly shoot with my cam on auto, and don't know a lot about the technical stuff - that's why I'm hoping you'll talk down to me :)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

inetsupergrrl
  • 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
    zrfraser
    Re: Can you help me understand what I can and can't do with my camera?
    Just setting the camera on Manual won't be enough for the focus ring. I'm not sure but I believe you have the set the camera to manual focus, which should be a lever close to the lens (I have never shot a Fuji so I'm not sure). Also you might have to set the lens itself to manual focus. Although I don't know how much closer you are going to be able to get. With my 28-90 sigma I can focus to about a foot, and then I have to switch to macro on the lens, then I can focus to inches. You could always buy a macro lens, which will allow you to get much closer. I would probably go for a 50mm macro or something close to that.

Z
  • 03-08-2007, 10:54 PM
    inetsupergrrl
    Thanks Z. Can you recommend a good macro lens that's not price prohibitive?
    I'd sure appreciate it!

inetsupergrrl
  • 03-08-2007, 11:01 PM
    Frog
    Re: Can you help me understand what I can and can't do with my camera?
    Why can't you zoom in close with a 200mm?