Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which camera is right (yes i provided details on what i want)

okay, so I wouldnt consider myself new to the concept of photography, just to the aspect of "professional photography". What im looking for is a nice (not top of the line but not bottom) camera so i can start to feel around with these different settings available on SLR cameras. What I would mainly be photographing would be architecture, ie: walking around cities and taking pictures. Being I graduate highschool this year I had been looking around to see what types of careers are available and photography is one that caught my attention, I figured I'd explore it before dedicating myself to it. I've been looking at the rebel xt but im not sure if that is what i would want/need. My price range is around 800 dollars give or take but if necessary i could get a few hundred more. Thanks for your help .

Re: Which camera is right (yes i provided details on what i want)

Hi and welcome. I think you'll do just fine with that camera, especially seeing as your subjects aren't (hopefully) moving. Since you're looking at doing this long term, you're better off spending any extra money on good lenses and especially a good tripod.

Next year (or two) something better will come out with a new DSLR, although there's no reason you'd need to trade up unless the new one does something the one you have doesn't, and it's keeping you from getting your shots. Fact of life for shooting digital, but lenses don't change this much - and will be more important to getting a good image than upgrading an XT for a more expensive body.

what about the lens that comes with the camera, is that good enough for a start? and should other lenses (35mm) that i have fit this camera, or is there a different kind of thing going on. i know for a fact i have a macro lens somewhere and im not sure what the other lens i have is but i know its somewhere

I think all Canon EOS mount lenses will fit, but I'm not a Canon shooter so I'll let someone else answer that. Because of that I don't have any experience with that camera or lens (but seen nice work from both the original Digital Rebel and XT). Check the reviews section on this site for more info.

Without doing that myself, I'd say that the kit lens would probably be a good place to start. Is it as good as lenses costing several times as much? Probably not, but not in every situation. You'll get good shots to start building a portfolio with it, and the experience to know what works and doesn't work for you. That should be the most important thing in deciding your lens (and any other equipment) purchases.

If this lens is like similar lenses from other brands, this is what you might expect when comparing it to a similar focal length lens that costs a lot more: You might see a little less sharpness, especially wide open, but it should be fine stopped down to f8. Once again you're not shooting moving subjects so you'd probably stop down to f8 or so anyway. There will probably be a little more distortion, in the form of barrel distortion, at the wide end. This will show up more with architectural shots because of all of the straight lines but for your first lens I still wouldn't worry too much. In time, it might become a backup lens, which will be a good thing for a working pro to have.

first of all thanks for being so much help and second of all how would i go about learning the different functions of everything on the camera, i dont really understand what all the different settings do and what not so is there like a book i should look into?

Glad to help - but I probably can't tell you too much more, not being a Canon shooter. I'm not sure what your experience level is, but Kodak has a good series of books about photography.

Most of the books I've seen about architecture are strictly about using a view camera for this work, and with a DSLR they wouldn't be much help. Usually with architecture I'd work on a tripod and have the camera in manual exposure mode. Probably manual focus too. I haven't done a lot of it, but this is actually one thing I want to work more on. My own way of doing it is usually to determine exposure with the spot meter (I don't think this camera has a spot meter though), and look at the histogram to make sure it's what I want. I'd also shoot in RAW.

Are these concepts and ideas something you're familiar with? Again, I don't know your experience.

no i dont have any knowledge of any of those concepts, which is is why i wanted a book that would start with those things.

Rebel 300D, Nikon D50

With your budget and your subject matter, the 300D or D50 would also be good choices. The 300D is somewhat crippled by firmware although it can be unlocked by a reversible firmware hack. TheThe 300D at around $600 for the body would allow you to purchase better glass and stay near your budget. The 300D is getting a little long in the tooth, but it still is capable of producing fine images. D50 more than stretches your budget, but the Nikon "kit" lens tends to be of better quality than the Canon's offering. I am not too familiar with Nikon, but they have made fine equipment for years.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Be careful about hacking the software on your camera, I'm sure it will void any warranty that you will have with it.

I guess I can't recommend one specific book to explain what I was talking about. I'd go to Borders (or equivalent) and look at some of the "complete digital photography" books. You're looking for info on exposure (specifically how it relates to digital cameras) and post-processing (Adobe Photoshop).

Scott Kelby's books on Photoshop are great when used like recipe books, for example to know how to properly sharpen an image or correct perspective.

The histogram is a graphic representation on the exposure of your digital file. You have to shoot first, then it either shows up or you have to press a couple of buttons depending on the camera. When you learn what it is and how it works, it's possibly the most powerful tool you've got in a digital camera (top five, any way). Make sure whatever book you end up with clearly explains this, and you feel comfortable with the way it's presented.

Shooting RAW is a file format, like jpeg. It's much different than jpeg in that it takes a conversion program to turn it into a "useable" file. Some versions of Adobe Photoshop have a converter, it may come with the camera and there are other third-party options as well. It's a little more time consuming but can help you get the highest quality file that you can, versus jpeg which is quicker to work with. Tradeoffs, know when to use which type. Scott Kelby's books explain a little about RAW, but the book that explains the histogram should also talk about RAW files.

I bought a book from Barnes and Noble that was specifically for the 20D which I use. To see a list of cameras they have books for click here. It gave in depth info on all of the bells and whistles.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

at the moment i have 300 dollars and i make around 200 a week (like 160 after taxes) so in two more weeks or so ill make a concrete decision but as for now, is there anything else i should be worried about purchasing other than the camera and a tripod?

Yes, CF cards

Don't forget to include some compact flash cards (film) in your budget, none of the DSLRs come with them. A Giottos rocket blower will be helpful for keeping your sensor clean.An electronic cable release is very nice to avoid camera shake and for long exposures. A decent bag to keep your kit in is helpful for keeping everything nice.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Lightbulb Re: Which camera is right (yes i provided details on what i want)

To start you off I think an old Manual film SLR is what you need. Then Move on later.

Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    To start you off I think an old Manual film SLR is what you need. Then Move on later.
    i have a little bit of experience with that already, my dad did photography and had one. which is where i would get lenses from

If you decide to go the route of an older film camera, you can find bargains on used lenses on ebay as well as stores like keh.com.

If you go with a DSLR, you will need Compact Flash cards (or whatever format card that particular camera uses). For starters, two 512's should do - the better part of $100 for both. You can get by without a cable release for the time being as long as your subjects don't move (like buildings). Use the camera's self timer set to a couple of seconds, and that will help a lot. One other thing you might consider is a bubble level that mounts in the hot shoe. It'll make sure you have your camera lined up straight to the horizon. The camera should come with some version of Photoshop or equivalent, so you'll be set there.

Make sure the lenses are Canon EF mount

Quote Originally Posted by thetrey
    i have a little bit of experience with that already, my dad did photography and had one. which is where i would get lenses from
    Canon used the FD mount with their non auto-focus lenses, these lenses will not work on EOS cameras. Canon EOS cameras use EF mount lenses, make sure your Fathers old lenses are EF mount.

i've got photoshop cs2 (i do graphics design for a web firm) and i checked the camera type and i think i remember the lenses being compatible but ill check again, thanks for the heads up. but on another note, im go for the rebel xt, i mean its something good for me to start with?

Thread Information