• 12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
    gsx rated98
    Buying first DSLR, opinions welcome
    Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a new camera. I currently have a fuji S5000. Its old, outdated, and just not that great of a camera. I like taking pictures at car shows, and nature as well, just to give an idea of what I may need.

Now, I'm looking for an entry level camera. I was just about set on a Nikon D60, so I went to the store to check one out, when the guys shows me the Sony A350. Similar packages, with not much varying cost.

I like the life image of the Sony, and the on board stabilization, as well as on board auto focus. But I just have a feeling that the Nikon will be a better camera.

What does everyone think?
  • 12-17-2008, 10:21 PM
    mindikollphotos
    Re: Buying first DSLR, opinions welcome
    I have a Nikon D80 and I love it. Good luck with your choice!
  • 12-18-2008, 12:41 AM
    Frog
    Important.....what's your budget?
  • 12-18-2008, 06:22 AM
    gsx rated98
    I'm trying to keep it well under a grand.
  • 12-18-2008, 07:14 AM
    zrfraser
    Well I just bought a Nikon, but I bought a used D70 body. I looked at the D40-D50-D60, but I chose the D70 mainly because it could use a lot of the older Nikon Autofocus lenses. The D60 will not, becuase it doesn't have a screw motor, it uses the lenses onboard motor (AF-S) to focus. This can get expensive, and fast. I would go with the Sony, since it can use the majority of the older Minolta autofocus lenses since they have the same mount. Body and lens for the SOny should be around 600.00 if I recall, so that leaves you with another 400, which would easily buy you a 50mm 1.7, and the infamous beercan lens.