Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Buying a Digital Rebel

Hi everyone, I'm a poor college student, but I've been saving up some money with my crappy job so that I can buy this Canon Digital Rebel camera which looks beautiful.

I realize that there are better cameras out there, but this one is the only one that's in my price range, and should definitely satisfy my needs.

Anyways, a year or two ago, I bought a canon powershot A70 which was fine for my needs back then, but after buying it, I've watched it's price drop lower and lower with the releases of newer cameras such as A75 and A80. So I came here to ask you, are there any anticipated price drops for the digital rebel?

I live in Canada, and here it costs 1,299 right now, but I'm sure the price would significantly drop if a new camera was released in the near future. Can anyone tell me if Canon will release anything soon? or maybe they've announced price drops to compete with D70?

Any help on the price matter would be appreciated.

Re: Buying a Digital Rebel

Back in August, I heard a rumor from the author of a couple digital photography books.... He gave no specifics, but he indicated that waiting might not be a bad idea.

I don't know if he meant waiting for the Photokina show, and if so, then I guess Canon did not upgrade.

ps. Hope you budgeted for a CF card, too. :-)
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

one more thing: anything computer WILL be upgraded on a regular schedule, rendering previous models and prices obsolete. So you have to get used to watching the price drop. It all depends on whether you can wait or not, and if you're satisfied buying an older model once the new ones come out.

thanks for the replies, guys.

it doesn't concern me that the camera may be out of date. right now I've got my powershot A70 which wasnt top of the line when i bought it, and Olympus OM10 which was made 4 years before I was born, so I don't really care about the manufacturing date..

what I do care about though, is that we are getting a kitten within a week, and i would love to take as many pictures as possible of it.. the rebel would come in really handy there

is there any way to estimate the amount of time before the next price drop?

Sorry, sun, I've got no idea. I'm not sure such a formula exists.

And as I think about it more, I'm thinking this author guy might have been suggesting to wait for Photokina, which is now over. He said most of the manufacturers make their big announcements in October.

I honestly have no idea if the Rebel will be upgraded. I suppose if it is, I shouldn't be too disappointed, because I bought mine almost a year ago.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundin
    Anyways, a year or two ago, I bought a canon powershot A70 which was fine for my needs back then, but after buying it, I've watched it's price drop lower and lower with the releases of newer cameras such as A75 and A80. So I came here to ask you, are there any anticipated price drops for the digital rebel?
    To be blunt, are you buying the camera for photography or as an investment? Like it or not, high tech prices are always dropping and the resale value of all high tech is minimal.

Yeah, you can wait for the Rebel successor. But then, the next model will be on it's way. This is a treadmill, you'll keep running at top speed and getting nowhere.

My advice is always the same: Does the Rebel provide the images and features you need? If yes, buy it. If not, wait.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

you guys misunderstood me.

the reason why I'm asking about the wait is not because I want to get the Rebel successor, but because I want the current Rebel to get cheaper so that I can buy it. the current camera should definitely be good enough for my needs.

I mean, I can print the 8x10 or the 6x4 photos with no loss of quality, right? If i can do that, I'll be the happiest camper there is.

This camera I want is definitely for photography, not an investment, I just want to shoot shoot shoot pictures..

Some guesses

Quote Originally Posted by Sundin
    Hi everyone, I'm a poor college student, but I've been saving up some money with my crappy job so that I can buy this Canon Digital Rebel camera which looks beautiful.

I realize that there are better cameras out there, but this one is the only one that's in my price range, and should definitely satisfy my needs.

I live in Canada, and here it costs 1,299 right now, but I'm sure the price would significantly drop if a new camera was released in the near future. Can anyone tell me if Canon will release anything soon? or maybe they've announced price drops to compete with D70?

Any help on the price matter would be appreciated.
    I live in Europe and prices are quite different from the USA, but the general tendency is the same.

The Rebel kit dropped to 999 Euros a couple of months ago. The D70 kit followed it down to about 1290 Euros last week. The EOS 20D kit is about 2300 Euros, out of the competition.

Personally I would expect things to stay the way they are until after Christmas at least. It would make sense for Canon to update the Rebel for PMA in February, as it will be 18 months old by that time. I wouldn't expect prices to drop very much though.

Charles

Thread Information