Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Buy now or wait for PMA?

I am about to buy a Canon 40D ($1149) and a Sigma 18-200mm OS ($429)

Should I wait for PMA to end to see if there is an update? Either Canon 50D or Nikon D90? Im sure there wont be a 50D but what are the chances of a D90 w/ weatherproofing and an increased fps rate? Possibly 12mp?

I really want to order this camera to get it as soon as possible but dont want to be impatient and end up regretting it.

Re: Buy now or wait for PMA?

Do you want Canon or Nikon??

Nikon has just released 2 new DSLRs. They may or may not have another ready.

Canon's update is the Rebel XSi. They just released the 40D. There should be an update to the 5D but I haven't seen anything real about it yet.

So the question is, do you want Canon or Nikon? Since the D300 is positioned between the 40D and 5D/6D I guess Nikon could release a lower level camera, but I personally think they would be more likely to target the XSi than the 40D.

YMM definitely V
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Here is my take on the whole thing.

Which PMA are you thinking of waiting for. This years? How about next years, they may have a 20, 25 or 30mp camera then. Maybe next year they will have a 1D MIV with 20fps, or 30fps. If you wait for the 2010 PMA they may have a 100mp camera with 100fps.

DSLR bodies have become like computers. They are outdated before you open the box, or at least before you get it paid for. What is more important IMO is knowing what you want to shoot and what your NEEDS are to accomplish your goals.

Are you a working pro that needs more fps for sports or more megapixs for huge blow ups? If so then maybe you might want to see what is out there at the new PMA. If not then I think that you would be wiser to look at what is available that would do everything you need. I would love to have a 5D and will someday, but right now I am shooting a lot of sports. The 40D suites my needs fine for now. It's not a 1D MIII, but I am a serious hobbyist, so I put more money into really good glass, as it is going to outlive the bodies I have now. I'm not shooting bill boards and the collage that I have been shooting at and for has been totally happy with what I have been able to provide them. Some day I may pick up a 5D or it successor as a third body for landscapes, portraits etc, but for now I don't have the extra money to spend and the 5D will not do what the 40D does for me. Just my 2 cents on the whole thing.

Thank you for the replies, I understand that they are similar to computers and being addicted to electronics I know that I can always wait but eventually I will be behind somehow, but when I see the potential for something in within then next week I have to look at my options. Something 3+ months out I would not be concerned. I was just wondering what the possibility was of a Nikon that would compete with the 40D that was within its price range.

I dont prefer one brand over another, I see great advantages for both and most cases its model by model. If nikon released a competitor to the 40d at the same price range I would much rather pair it with the nikkor 18-200mm vr than the sigma I plan to buy with the 40d.

Again thanks for the replies, I will most likely order my 40d and simga lens this weekend, but any other input would still be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTMAN
    I dont prefer one brand over another, I see great advantages for both and most cases its model by model. If nikon released a competitor to the 40d at the same price range I would much rather pair it with the nikkor 18-200mm vr than the sigma I plan to buy with the 40d.
    Just buy the 40D. Everything available now is going to be more than adequate for anything you need to do. If you do want Nikon, the D300 is Nikon's answer to the 40D. And they're both great cameras. I have both right now and other than the fact that I'm more used to the Canon controls than Nikon's, I'll happily use either camera. And even if something stellar was introduced next week, it likely won't hit the streets for a couple of months. And you're better off taking pictures with a camera now than waiting a couple of months just for slightly better performance.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information