Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

which camera should i buy?

i shoot alot of action sports like snowboarding and skating. im looking to get either a nikon d40 or a canon rebel. both are in my price range 4-600 dollers. which is the better camera to buy?

Re: which camera should i buy?

Personally, I got the Canon Rebel XTi because you can use any lens with it. The Nikon D40/D40x are limited to the digital series lenses only in order for the autofocus to work.

Don't forget to budget for a good lens as well!
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

well once i get the camera im going to use whatever lense is on it for a little while til i can get more money to buy a decent lense. but mine the lens issue would u say the rebel is better?

I believe, each to his own. I think they are both created fairly equal. If you have a store nearby that has these cameras, pick them up and see how they feel to you. They are both good entry level dslr's. The glass you put on the end is much more important. However, the most important factor will be the user. Whichever one you get, read the manual, ask questions and practice, a lot.
    Last edited by mn shutterbug; 01-20-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

ok thanks for the help. not sure what one im going to get yet. i think i take decent pictures and i def wanna learn alot more now im getting a good camera. here are a few pics i have taken with point and shoot cameras . tell me what u think of them

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think you'll get sharper shots with a dslr, probably being able to use faster shutter speeds, depending on lens of course.
    These are ok. If you are going to get serious you'll want to learn to look at backgrounds, light angles, etc., etc.......
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    If you are going to get serious you'll want to learn to look at backgrounds, light angles, etc., etc.......
    and composition.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thread Information