Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Walk Around Lens Pros/Cons

I am new to digital SLR cameras and have been doing some research into the types of cameras and lenses I should get. I have pinpointed the camera that I think I'm going to go with, the Canon xsi, but I'm still up in the air about which lens(es) i should get with it. The place I am looking to get the camera from has a couple of packages: 1) includes the 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Auto Focus Lens; 2) includes the 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Macro Mini Zoom Auto Focus Lens and the 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Auto Focus Macro lens. My question is regarding the pros/cons of the 'all-in-one lens' vs using two different lenses. Should I expect to see any difference in picture quality if use one set over the other for a similar application? Any other suggestions/recommendations will be well received.

Thanks for the help!

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Walk Around Lens Pros/Cons

No. All of the lenses in question are ok, I doubt you'd see any difference. Though all of those lenses you mentioned are really robbing you of the wide end. Perhaps you should buy the body only and match it to a good wide to short or medium telephoto zoom.

Also, what place are you looking to get the camera from?? Those seem to be somewhat oddball lens packages. You may want to research the seller..

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by wileymiester
    I am new to digital SLR cameras and have been doing some research into the types of cameras and lenses I should get. I have pinpointed the camera that I think I'm going to go with, the Canon xsi, but I'm still up in the air about which lens(es) i should get with it. The place I am looking to get the camera from has a couple of packages: 1) includes the 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Auto Focus Lens; 2) includes the 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Macro Mini Zoom Auto Focus Lens and the 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Auto Focus Macro lens. My question is regarding the pros/cons of the 'all-in-one lens' vs using two different lenses. Should I expect to see any difference in picture quality if use one set over the other for a similar application? Any other suggestions/recommendations will be well received.

Thanks for the help!
    You made a good choice with the new XSi. I have the XTi and it's a great camera - the XSi has much more to offer. Enjoy!

I would suggest getting a kit with a different lens. The 18-55IS is one of the newest lenses included in a kit. It's a good lens - and popular.

NormanCamera.com is a reputable online and instore (Michigan) dealer. No tax unless you live in Michigan. Good customer Service. It's hard to find this combo in stock, but they have it. It's the XSi with the 18-55 IS lens which is a good lens for the price - with IS. It is sharp and has good color rendition. It usually runs about $175 - the kit is $100 so it's a savings of $100.

http://www.normancamera.com/product-...8_55mm_IS_Lens

I would also recommend the Canon 50mm/f1.8. It's a good lens for low light and portrait, street photography. It's always been a very popular lens.

http://www.normancamera.com/product-...M_F1_8_II_LENS

Check out these shots done by photographers here on PR - with the 50mm/f1.8 lenses

50mm Walk About

Depending on what your budget is - and what type of photography your interested in, other recommendations could be made about other focal lengths, etc.

Liz

Somebody needs to talk Canon into kicking some residuals Liz's way for her nifty fifty promotional campaign.

Still, I have to admit she's right.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Somebody needs to talk Canon into kicking some residuals Liz's way for her nifty fifty promotional campaign.

Still, I have to admit she's right.

- Joe U.
    Yea, I promote this lens a lot. I guess it's kind of strange since I personally have the 50mm/f1.4. Maybe if I had seen this thread a few years ago I would have stuck with the 1.8. However, the 50mm/f1.4 is one of my favorites.

Liz

Here is the link to the website/camera that I was looking at.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...prodid=4236303

I can’t come close to beating this price anywhere else. My reasoning behind going with the options that gave me a 28-300mm was so that I could with those and see which one I find myself using more often so that I could get some nice lenses further down the road with the spec’s that I need/want the most. Wouldn’t I be limiting myself quite a bit by going with just a 50mm lens? And would there be that big of difference between a 28mm an 18mm lens where I would me missing out on a good chunk of the wide lens range? Also, I see myself using this for a wide range of applications (close-ups/portraits/landscapes), which is why I was looking at this range of focal lengths.

I appreciate the insight so far :P

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

bestpricecameras advertises low prices for a reason - they're notorious for bait and switch, cancelling orders, etc. Read this thread before buying anything from them.

There is quite a bit of difference between 28mm and 18mm. If you're familiar with 35mm field of views the 18mm would be the equivalent of 28.8mm and the 28mm would be 44.8mm when you factor in the 1.6 focal multiplier. Take a look here to see the differences, keeping in mind that this demo does not include the crop factor - so you would have to look at the 28mm to get an idea of 18mm and the 50mm to get an approximation of the 28mm (it would be wider than the 50mm demo, but you'll get the idea).

(And yes, I do still lurk sometimes - hi Liz!!)
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I thought the package looked kind of iffy, too, so glad you posted where you are looking to buy from. Save yourself the grief and heartache and stay away from them.
    Maybe you'll have to just buy a body and one lens but that's a good way to go while you're learning and then you'll find out what lenses you really want.
    Besides the link to our forum posted by Mig, also check http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rice_Cameras_6
    Reseller ratings is the only honest place on the web I've found concerning reviews of sellers. Aside from here of course
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the heads up. I feel a little silly now, the fiance and I are usually pretty good about avoiding those types if retailers. I'd like to think we still would have caught it but you never know, thanks again.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by wileymiester
    Thanks for the heads up. I feel a little silly now, the fiance and I are usually pretty good about avoiding those types if retailers. I'd like to think we still would have caught it but you never know, thanks again.
    We all run into these things......these people are good at what they do.

Just one comment - I strongly doubt you will find the XSi for less than $799 for the body only - and $899 including a lens since this camera just arrived on the shelves. Some places don't have it yet. If you are on a budget, have you considered the XTi? You can get a good deal on it now. I really like this camera. That way you will have a little extra money for lenses.

Here are a few
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    bestpricecameras advertises low prices for a reason - they're notorious for bait and switch, cancelling orders, etc. Read this thread before buying anything from them.

There is quite a bit of difference between 28mm and 18mm. If you're familiar with 35mm field of views the 18mm would be the equivalent of 28.8mm and the 28mm would be 44.8mm when you factor in the 1.6 focal multiplier. Take a look here to see the differences, keeping in mind that this demo does not include the crop factor - so you would have to look at the 28mm to get an idea of 18mm and the 50mm to get an approximation of the 28mm (it would be wider than the 50mm demo, but you'll get the idea).

(And yes, I do still lurk sometimes - hi Liz!!)
    Hey there Danielle! This is good information and links! I hope you're doing well. I did see your name the other day (lurking) and wondered how you are doing.

Liz

Hey good luck with you purchase i just got my self the XSI and loveing it.
    Ok im not a pro at all. this is my first dslr but here is what i got with my cam.

Canon eos xsi , EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS , EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS , EF 50mm f/1.8 II , and a few hoya uv filters. this might sound funy but the xsi from circuit city they had a great 18 month no % deal going on a few months back everything else from b&h.

this was taken with the 18-55mm kit lense

this with the 55-250mm

and my cat with the 50mm

Thread Information