Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Which is Better - Sigma or Tamron?

Question. Which lens for a DSLR camera is better. Tamron or Sigma?

Re: Which is Better - Sigma or Tamron?

I moved your post to the DSLR forum because it wasn't a good fit in the thread where you posted it. Your question is a little vague. Both Sigma and Tamron make great lenses and mediocre lenses. It really depends on the specific lens you're looking at and what your budget is. If you tell us more about what you're looking for we can definitely give you some direction.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

n8

I'd suggest adding Tokina to that list as well. I just got a Tokina 12-24, and so far it's solid...and I'm usually quick to disregard 3rd party brands.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

I have lenses from many manufacturers, including Nikon, Sigma and Tamron. In my opinion you get what you pay for. All the manufacturers are equally smart at making lenses and just as competitive price-wise.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I tend to trust Tamron a bit more than Sigma. Sigma lens use a unique method of engineering their AF and Aperture control to fit the various mounts. As a result, frequently as camera bodies are upgraded Sigma lens lose this electronic control (rendering AF and or aperture control null). It can sometimes be fixed by sending the lens into sigma to be 'rechipped', which is still a hassle. I find that most of the time, whatever option Sigma has Tamron has a better, more fairly priced option. But as others have said, there is certainly some variance within different models and sometimes, depending on price, Sigma may give oyu a better option. If you post specific lens for us to compare, we can give you a more specific answer.

As was said, Tokina is also worth considering. Though they don't frequently have the same high performance optics as the competition, they are of a typically excellent build quality and very inexpensive as well. Their 80-200 does not compare to the Sigma or Tamron versions in optical performance, but their 80-200 is also one half to one third the price of the competition as well.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I think you just need to read reviews and a lot of them. With either brand you can have problems with CA. I wouldn't buy anything with less the 41/2 stars. I don't buy a lens without researching. Most often just post a question here and someone has used the lens you ask about. The knowledge base here is deep.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Chevy Vega or Ford Edge? Ford Pinto or Chevy Corvette? There is no general rule here it is like comparing apples to tomatoes. You have to pick specific matched lenses and then compare them.

Smile Re: Which is Better - Sigma or Tamron?

Quote Originally Posted by prunge View Post
    Question. Which lens for a DSLR camera is better. Tamron or Sigma?
    Thanks for the objective answers I received from many of you. It is kind of difficult to decide which lens to purchase considering that some of these lens' prices are quite steep. Nevertheless, I can base my choice with some considerations to the answers given.

Hi, don't know if you can help but we are relatively new to DSLR's having had a Canon SX50 bridge camera for the past year. We purchased a Canon EOS 700D and then got a Sigma 170-500mm 1:5-6:3 APO AF lens for it from Ebay. We are having problems with the lens, but not sure if it's cause we don't know enough about them or whether in fact the lens is faulty. If the Fstop is above 5.6 then we are unable to take a photo, is this what it is meant to be or is the lens faulty?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

"I tend to trust Tamron a bit more than Sigma. "

Agreed. In my experience Tamron build quality seems better overall as well as the matching, at in the case of Nikons.

Quote Originally Posted by Laoshi View Post
    "I tend to trust Tamron a bit more than Sigma. "

Agreed. In my experience Tamron build quality seems better overall as well as the matching, at in the case of Nikons.
    I had the same question about the quality of Tamron and Sigma lenses. I think I will buy the Tamron lens now. Thanks for your response!

My opinion Sigma Lens is better for a DSLR camera. I used this previous 3 years.

Like someone mentioned earlier. A general statement like that can be very misleading towards both brands. You have to be specific to which particular lens model you are referring to.
    Some third party lenses work great with some cameras and not so great with other camera models.
    Also, making a general statement like you did without some indication as of to why, the statement becomes rather meaningless.
    Last edited by volks; 12-20-2014 at 06:43 AM.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

I've got two specific lenses for you to compare, please:

Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens with Built-in AF Motor
    vs.
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Thanks!

I'm having a similar problem I have a Rebel SL1 and want to upgrade the kit lens. I'm looking at the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM VS. the Tamron Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD, anybody have any experience with either of these?

I would like to buy new lenses to photograph animals. I have a Canon 600D
    I would like to know which one is best:
    Sigma Af 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG macro o
    Tamron Sp 70-300 f/4-5.6 di VC

Thanks

Question: I have been researching the Tamron 150-600mm lens and the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary Lens and am still undecided which lens to purchase. I have the Canon 60D. Would greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks

I haven't used either but what would you use a 600mm for?

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and just getting back into photography. I have owned and used many cameras for many years. However, I am just a hobbyist. My question is which lens is better: Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.5 Di II PZD Macro or the Sigma 18-300 F/3.5-6.3 Macro OS HSM Contemporary? I am using a Canon EOS 60D so knowing how the APS-C magnifies the actual length of the lens, I wonder if the 2 mm difference at the bottom end is worth it or not as well. Thank you.

We are having problems with the lens, but not sure if it's cause we don't know enough about them or whether in fact the lens is faulty.

Thread Information