Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

The best macro lens (for your money) for Cannon eos 350D

I've wanted to get a macro lens for ages! Im still stuck with the orignal that came with my eos 350D! Just wondering if anyone knew of a good make/model or even a good site to get a good quality lens! Thanks alot!

Re: The best macro lens (for your money) for Cannon eos 350D

There are so many good and great macro lenses. How much can you spend?

Google 'best macro lenses canon' without the quotes and it will turn up a bunch of stuff to read.

The Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro USM rates very good from what I have read.

You could alternately buy extension tubes (see the sticky post in Nature Forum) that allow you to use a normal lens at a closer focusing distance thus magnifying the subject size.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum. I would echo what Cyberlord says. The 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens is a great lens, and not one that will break the bank. It's fast, sharp, and very quiet. B&H has it for $470.

I have also heard good things about the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x lens, although I have never used it. I think this is a macro only lens, so you wouldn't be able to use if for anything, other than close focusing.

I think Loupey was testing, or bought the 180mm f/3.5 macro lens from Canon ($1240), but I'm not sure. Canon also makes a 50mm f/2.5 compact macro lens ($240).

Extension tubes are another great way to take macro photos. I got a set this winter, and I haven't used them much yet, but when I have, I was really happy with the results. You can get a full set of Kenko tubes for about $160 and they will turn any lens into a macro lens.

So depending on your budget, you have lots to choose from. I don't know much about the 3rd party macro lenses, but I'm sure they make some very nice macro lenses too.

As far as where to get them from, I order almost exclusively from B&H photo.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

How exactly to extension tubes work? I saw a few on ebay and they are alot cheaper than actuall lenses! I was also wondering, is it best to get a telephoto lens with macro mode so then you can use it for both distince and macro shots. I'm looking at something like This
    What do you think?

I found this lens on ebay what do you think?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamron-2-Lens-...em#Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by pympster
    How exactly to extension tubes work? I saw a few on ebay and they are alot cheaper than actuall lenses!

Copied from Wikipedia:

An extension tube is an accessory for cameras with interchangeable lenses, used primarily for macro photography. The tube contains no optical elements; its sole purpose is to move the lens farther from the film or digital sensor. The farther away the lens is, the closer the focus, the greater the magnification, and also the greater the loss of light (requiring a longer exposure time). Lenses classically focus closer than infinity by moving all optical elements farther from the film or sensor; an extension tube simply extends this movement. When a lens is focused at infinity, its maximum magnification is the length of the extension divided by the focal length of the lens.
    Extension tubes without electrical contacts will not allow the camera to control the lens disabling autofocus and forcing a user to shoot wide open. More expensive extension tubes contain electrical contacts allowing the user to use autofocus and control the aperture of the attached lens.

I was also wondering, is it best to get a telephoto lens with macro mode so then you can use it for both distince and macro shots. I'm looking at something like This
    What do you think?
    What lens will work best for you, is something only you can decide. A longer focal length macro lens will let you stay a little farther away from your subject. This can be a big plus if your subject is something like a bug that you might scare away if you have to get too close.

Be sure to read the reviews on this site for the lens you linked too. You can read them here:

http://www.photographyreview.com/sf-...-100_mm_299_mm
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I found this lens on ebay what do you think?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamron-2-Lens-...em#Accessories

I don't know anything about either of these lenses. I'm guessing that the macro lens, isn't a true macro. A true macro lens will give you a 1:1 ratio. This means that if you shoot something like a grain of rice, the grain of rice on your image sensor, or film, will be the same size as the actual grain of rice. Acording to the specs, this "marco" lens will give you a magnification ratio of 1:2 . This is not a true macro lens. They add the word macro to the lens because if has a shorter close focusing distance than a typical lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

oh ok thanks! Well if I buy a telephoto lens that has a macro mode will that still produce okay results for both images of something a great distance away and something very close? Im really an ametuer photographer so I'm really trying to find something cheap and cheerful!

Yes, I think you will get about the same results on the macro end, as you will on the telephoto end. One other thing to consider, is the quality of the lens. With cheap telephoto zoom lenses, they are generally softer on the long end, than they are on the short end. So a photo taken at 300mm might not be as sharp as one taken at 70mm with the same lens. Depending on what you plan on doing with the photos, this might not be that noticeable.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

oh ok thanks for the heads up!

i have the tamron 70-300 / macro for my nikon ... as Michael said it gets a bit soft on the longer side but it is a decent lens for the price ... and it does have the macro (1:2 with i believe a focal range of just over 36 inches)

I got it when I bought my camera as I wasn't sure what I needed for lenses so I got a wide and a long lens and will upgrade to more specific lenses when I know what I need or want.
    I also have the extension tubes .. they are fun with any lens
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

thanks! anyone ever used/heard of This one
    Its really annoying because I need to find a reliable site that has next day delivery!! but amazon seems to be the only one with good prices! Anyone know of a good site for the uk??

Tamron makes good lenses too and very affordable. However, depending on what type of macro work you do, the min focus distances (5 feet on my 75-300) can limit the angles you can shoot from. If you are going to be doing closeup flower macros it 's not going to cut it.

Now saying that, the min focus distance is great for shooting butterflies and birds from a distance without disturbing them. So it will depend on what type of macro work you want to do.

I do love my Tamron for what I do with it and for the price/performance it can not be beat.

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro

I've wanted to get a macro lens for ages! Im still stuck with the orignal that came with my eos 350D! Just wondering if anyone knew of a good make/model or even a good site to get a good quality lens! Thanks alot!

Check out Photographyreview's review area.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro for Canon EOS

thanks cyberlord! Well at the moment I'm trying to take a few plant shots but I still have my stock 18-55mm lens that came with my canon! So i think most things should be slightly better. I really just need a lens that will do a bit of both and that will not cost a fourtune! The sigma does seem pretty good! Thanks for the links and everything!

Im also wondering what is the difference between the APO version and the normal version of the sigma?? the apo version is more expensive yet the stats seem the same!!

this page here explains all the letters for sigma lenses

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses.asp#apo
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I thought that a 1:2 macro would render the subject at twice life size?
    Am I off?
    If you have a 1:1 which gives an image the same size as the object, what is used to make the subject bigger than life size?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information