Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

Any talk about KM 7D or 5D

So does anyone have this camera? I'm maybe considering one, since ive had so many minoltas, I see quality in everyone one i've had.

Pros and cons?
    User experiences?
    Reccomendation?

Reviews?

Have you checked the reviews? There are eight user reviews for the 7D in our review section: http://www.pcphotoreview.com/cat/dig...2_3127crx.aspx

I had the opportunity to play with it for a few minutes at the annual PMA tradeshow, this spring. I thought it felt great and I love the application of image stabilization at the sensor level. I also think that Minolta was always one of the best camera designers. The Maxxum 9 may be the most confortable and best designed SLR ever.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Any talk about KM 7D or 5D

Quote Originally Posted by bordersandflags
    So does anyone have this camera? I'm maybe considering one, since ive had so many minoltas, I see quality in everyone one i've had.

Pros and cons?
    User experiences?
    Reccomendation?
    I've owned the KM 5D for about a month now, so I'll give it a go!

Pros:

1. The KM 5D's ergonomics are very nice. Most control settings can be very easily accessed.

2. Construction feels good and solid. But plastic, not metal.

3. Takes great pictures. Very good colour balance all round.

4. Very good pic quality from ISO 100-1600. ISO 3200 is only (IMHO) usable for 4R/5R prints (too noisy and lost detail).

5. AS is indispensible for handheld, low light, no flash shots and long zooms. Imagine getting 2 or 3 stops down from a 50mm f/1.4 prime!

6. KM wireless flash system allows you to control up to 2 external flashes with your built-in flash. You can explore some creative flash photography with this feature.

7. Access to good, mid-priced lenses (Meaning you have more a lot more choices than just cheap and not so hot at the bottom end, and wonderful but incredibly expensive glass at the top). KM lenses have good reputation, mostly. Good bargains on eBay, too!

8. Full featured for its price range: Besides the usual PASM controls, you also get wide WB controls, WB bracketing (yes, WB), 9 area focusing, 14 zone (honeycomb) exposure metering, KM's Zone Matching system that allows you to preserve details of high contrast areas (eg. wedding dresses) or low contrast areas (dark on dark background)... did I mention AS? ;)

Cons:

1. Flimsy feeling CF card and battery doors/latches (for a DSLR). My Pana FZ20 was much better in this respect.

2. No space/place for a screen protector.

3. Kit lens not so hot.

4. Access to certain camera controls a bit fiddly (press 2 keys together to get result) although there's not a lot of this, I'm thankful to say.

5. AF problems (hunting, not in focus) BUT I have to say it could be me and the lenses I'm using, as I'm still not familiar with SLRs, D or not. I'm still learning.

6. There is supposed to be an AF lock feature but I still haven't managed to implement it properly... But then again, that could just be me as I'm still learning. either that, or I mis-read the manual.

Pro/Con:

Depending on your tastes, pictures out of camera are slightly soft and not as sharp as say from a Nikon D70... but that means KM is very conservative with its in-camera sharpening and you have that much more freedom in photoshop to tweak the sharpness with USM... so it's basically up to you if that's a pro or con.

Overall:

If you don't have any previous investment in lenses and are thinking of getting a DSLR, this is a VERY good one to get ... if you're not seduced by the great Canikon Marketing Machine, that is! ;)

The KM 5d is full-featured at its price range, delivers good, clean pictures that contain well balanced colours. Did I mention AS?

Ultimately, you just have to go to a shop and just USE a camera to see how it feels and take some photos with it before you decide. I was all set to plonk down the cash for a Canon XT/350D until I went into the shop to try it. Major shocker! I loved the pic quality but loathed the handling and feel of it (the 20D is still out of my price range).

I couldn't find a Pentax *ist DS anywhere. I was seriously looking at a D50 when KM's 5D came out (I'd been eyeing a 7D but it was way out of my price range at the time). So I went to the shop and tried both the D50 and the 5D (and gave the Canon one last chance)... and walked out with the KM 5D.

Hope this helps.

Re: Any talk about KM 7D or 5D

Quote Originally Posted by chinkster
    I've owned the KM 5D for about a month now, so I'll give it a go!
    If you don't have any previous investment in lenses and are thinking of getting a DSLR, this is a VERY good one to get ... if you're not seduced by the great Canikon Marketing Machine, that is! ;)

Ultimately, you just have to go to a shop and just USE a camera to see how it feels and take some photos with it before you decide. I was all set to plonk down the cash for a Canon XT/350D until I went into the shop to try it. Major shocker! I loved the pic quality but loathed the handling and feel of it (the 20D is still out of my price range).
    well this my very first post here...

regarding 5D i'm also owner for about 1 week ...
    i totally agree with @chinkster but the whole thing focuses with two words in the quoted spots :

- if you don't already have legacy gear lenses/flashes for NikonCanon stuff then KM 5D is a great opportunity to enter DSLR world !

- i was also just one small step from buying 350D but i also got really disapppointed when doing the "on hands" test ...

overall from me :
    - great image quality
    - great high ISO performance... i really think that up to ISO800 everything is really great, ISO1600 is most times usable and for ISO3200 noise-reduce s/w is doing great job !
    - AS rockz ! ... i'm able to make sharp pictures with times like 1/10'' or 1/6'' ... pls note that my hand is not stable at all ... my previous Oly 8080WZ didn't forgive me under 1/30''.
    - there's too much plastic but the quality is good and the body is really sturdy.
    - LCD has only 135.000 pixels for it's 2,5 inch but ... i can live with it

Thread Information