Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

EOS 40D or Rebel XTi?

Hey Everyone!

Currently I own a nice 35mm SLR camera, the Minolta 707si. (Japan version) It is time to go digital. I am in the process of writing a book and need to take quality pictures to add to the pages. Most of my photography with be done through glass or acrylic of marine organisms. The question is, which of the 2 cameras above is the best bang for the buck. After reviewing Canon's web site both have the same CMOS chip and many of the same features with the major exception being the live view and additional storage on the 40D. Since I am a beginner many of the bells and whistles I will probably never use. Mostly white balance and the normal manual adjustments. So is the 40D worth the extra $700. I can use that money to buy a couple nice lenses for the rebel body.... Thanks in advance....
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

Re: EOS 40D or Rebel XTi?

Considering your intended use, I would put the extra money towards good glass. Most users don't consider live view that important and never even use it. However, you do get what you pay for when it comes to lenses.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I agree.......you'll want the best lenses u can get for sharpest pics possible of marin life through glass or acrylic.
    Almo here does a lot of aqauarium shots so you might look him up for soem expertise.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks guys.

So there isn't that much of a difference between the 2 to warrent the extra cash for the 40D?
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

If you already own some nice lenses for the 707si, you may want to consider a Sony DSLR since Minolta AF lenses are fully compatible. You could use the money saved on lenses towards a nicer body. Granted, Sony's a700 is their highest end body currently available (it's marketed to compete with the 40D). It's expected that their pro body will be released during PMA at the end of the month.

Well I have just 2 lenses for that camera. A f4.5 24-85mm zoom and F5.6 70-210 zoom. So not the greatest lenses in the world. I also understand that although they are compatible they don't work as well a lens designed for digital SLRs. Is this true?
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by thercman
    Well I have just 2 lenses for that camera. A f4.5 24-85mm zoom and F5.6 70-210 zoom. So not the greatest lenses in the world. I also understand that although they are compatible they don't work as well a lens designed for digital SLRs. Is this true?
    I am of the opinion that a "made for digital" lens isn't necessary for digital photography, it's more hype than anything and a way to sell more lenses. Read my reply related to Nikon equipment, but it applies to all equipment.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thread Information