• 04-04-2006, 07:48 PM
    socalcowboy
    Best Cheap Digital SLR For Sports
    I would like to buy a new digital SLR mainly for Sports and some wildlife, I have a tight budget so I was thinking about buying something of of Ebay, I was looking at the canon digital rebel xt, but I heard the lens was pretty bad, I would also like a cheap lens that has a big zoom but also has a good enough apeture for sports. Any suggestions? Thanks so much
  • 04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
    Anbesol
    Re: Best Cheap Digital SLR For Sports
    its not a bad lens, for a kit lens. if you get the xt, GET THE VERTICAL GRIP!!! the 20D has been coming down in price too, that might be worth a look for you...
  • 04-05-2006, 08:59 PM
    Lionheart
    Quote:

Originally Posted by socalcowboy
    I would like to buy a new digital SLR mainly for Sports and some wildlife, I have a tight budget so I was thinking about buying something of of Ebay, I was looking at the canon digital rebel xt, but I heard the lens was pretty bad, I would also like a cheap lens that has a big zoom but also has a good enough apeture for sports. Any suggestions? Thanks so much

Ebay is good place to potentially get goods on the cheap, but a little unreliable if you need it yesterday:eek: I did get an Canon EF400 f5.6 L USM with a Tamron 28-80, an EF TC1.4x, and an EOS-3 on ebay, all for about 1200 bucks including shipping.
    Outside of ebay, even cheap really isn't. For sports you really need something that allows high quality images at high ISO (read 800-1600) and at least 5 frames per second. Aperture wise, F4 is absolutely the smallest I would go, especially on DSLR's, to allow for the best AF performance and to allow the best visual if you focus manually (DSLR's have dramatically smaller and darker viewfinders than their film counterparts except for the full frame boys like the 1Ds and the 5D). My recommendation for a Canon setup is the 20D and the 70-200 f4 USM for starters-definitely budget sport package but hardly cheap. You might also look into the Sigma 70-200 or Tokina version, both available in f2.8 flavor-saves a few dinero.
    Just my 50 centavos.;)
    Leon
  • 05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
    hesaias
    I shoot sports with the popup flash, and a 80-200 f4-5.6. Football (night) basketball(inside) and mid day baseball and such. I have a Rebel XT and canon lenses.

I want a Speedlite 480, and sigma f2.8 70-200. I get okay pics, but not really good ones. Ive got about $1000 in my stuff.
  • 05-03-2006, 09:43 PM
    lidarman
    I vote for the nikon D70s with the 18-70 f3.5/4.5 lens.

But that is just me...since I have one and have shot a lot of sports stuff with it!
  • 05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
    masdog
    Hi SoCal. I have been shooting sports for over two years now, almost entirely with DSLRs. If you are really into shooting sports, it won't be cheap. You'll have to pick and choose what you buy initially, and as you realize the limitations of your equipment, you'll want to get better stuff.

That said, what you buy is going to greatly depend on what sports you're initially going to shoot. What you need for shooting soccer and football in the daytime is much different than what you need to shoot indoor ice hockey.

That said, a DSLR gives you a pretty good base to start with. Having shot sports with a DRebel and the Rebel XT, I can tell you that both are inadequate. If you can afford it, you will want to get the 20D or its Nikon equivalent.