beginer help

Printable View

• 08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
    jon_206
    beginer help
    I'm still very new to the DSLR world and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good source explaining some of the settings. (IE shutter speed, exposure, ISO) I have played with these a little with my point and shoot but now there are more options/settings. I've looked a little online but I generally have to try it before I understand it. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
  • 08-07-2005, 11:02 AM
    bashby
    Re: beginer help
    The number of books that provide yo uwith basic photographic education could fill you house in a matter of moments. Most of them have the smae information and most are pretty good. I would recommend the National Geographic Photography Field Guide as a place to start. There is a very good text type book that covers everything from film to digital as well as dark room stuff titled "Photography" 8th edition. Go to the library to use this book. It is a great reference, but very pricey if you buy one new. ALso you might think about finding a photgraphy club in you area and hook up with those folks. Get some tips, handle some hardware before you go out and sink major cash into the hobby.

Bobby
    WolfGrafx Photgraphy
  • 08-07-2005, 04:57 PM
    tijean
    I second everything Bashby had to say. Additionally, I can recommend Kodak Pocket Guide to 35mm Photography (of course, you can skip the film types chapter) and Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
  • 08-11-2005, 01:23 AM
    markcoleman
    Jon,

I have very recently bought a Canon 350D, which is amazing and I wish I had bought an SLR years ago. Anyhow, I have just read the 'Understand exposures..' book and I would thoroughly recommend it. It takes you through the different elements of photography with photo examples.I have learned alot from simply reading this book. On the advice of this forum I have also just ordered the National Geographic field guide for landscapes.

Cheers

Mark
  • 08-19-2005, 03:56 PM
    Aaron
    Just for fun, check your local community college. Many of them have adult education courses that include things like photography. These are much shorter taken as a community class rather than an academic class,and cost a lot less too. I used to teach a few of these and it is a great way to get the basics of photography no matter whether you use digital or film.