Begginer SLR

Printable View

• 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM
    fisheggs
    Begginer SLR
    Hello, I am planning on buying my first DSLR and I am wondering which camera you guys think is best. I have about $1000cdn to spend. I'm not sure of the exchange rate but the two camera's I am looking at right now are about that Canon Rebel XTi, and Nikon D40x.
    I am planning on using this camera for many differnt types of photograpy but one of the main things i would be doing is taking it on trips. I am going on a week long hiking trip, climbing to base camp of everest, etc..

SO what camera or cameras would you recouldmend? and what advantages does it have over other camera's like it.

Thank you very much!
  • 05-15-2007, 05:18 AM
    dante
    Re: Begginer SLR
    don't forget to budget separately for the lens, as the kit lens that come with the camera aren't usually very good (although the Nikon's are better than the Canon's). i'm not a fan of the way Nikon changed their AF system for the D40 series (certain older lenses don't work, as well as any from Tamron, a 3rd party lens supplier). i opted for the XTi and have been quite happy with it, but several friends have Nikons and they've been just as happy with their purchase.

sorry, guess I'm not much help. :)
  • 05-15-2007, 05:48 AM
    mjs1973
    Welcome to the Forum. If you haven't already done so, I would go to a camera store and check out both models. One may feel better in your hands than the other. I don't know anything about Nikon so I can't tell you anything about the D40x, other than the lens compatibility issue would give me a little concern.

I would think that either camera will suit you well so go check them out and see which one feels better.
  • 05-15-2007, 08:15 AM
    fisheggs
    I have already tried that and thats how I narrowed it down to these two, They both feel pretty good and now i'm just wondering same exp. photographers think about them.
  • 05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
    Stinger
    I don't have any experience with either camera, but I can rely on the experiences of friends who have them. Both users speak positively about their cameras, are happy with them, and get great pictures.

To expand on the point about the D40x and the autofocus - my friend has found this rather limiting, as he bought the camera based on the cheaper price, but cannot get a decent telephoto that will autofocus for what he considers a reasonable price. (the one he wants is $700).
  • 05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    have you possibly thought about the sony alpha a100 ?

I know it has gotten great reviews ... dust resistance and built in stabilization .... just a thought ...

I agree with the limiting factor of the AF on the D40 ...
  • 05-15-2007, 03:55 PM
    fisheggs
    As of now I am leaning to the Rebel XTi, but I have yet to try the sony.
  • 05-16-2007, 05:35 AM
    rsimmons
    If you're going to look at the Sony, you might as well check out the Pentax K10, the up and coming Olympus 510, and the Nikon D50. The D50 will open up more lenses to you.
  • 05-16-2007, 06:21 AM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    I didn't mention the D50 because the xti and the d40 are both 10.1 mp cameras and figured that was his reasoning for them ... where the D50 is 6.1mp ... still delivers a great pic, as I love mine ... but yes the D50 will open up a great lens selection ...
  • 05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
    fisheggs
    Would the rebel have just as good of selection as the nikon D50?
  • 05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fisheggs
    Would the rebel have just as good of selection as the nikon D50?

That's kind of a subjective question. I think the D50 has the AF motor built into the body so it will be compatible with a much larger selection of lenses than the D40. As far as being more or less, or better or worse than Canon, I would think they are about the same. I'm a Canon shooter so I'm a little bias, but I think Canon has a better selection of lenses than Nikon, but I have never shopped for Nikon glass. I'm basing my opinion on what I have read from others. I also think that Canon has better quality lenses, but again, this is my opinion.

The bottom line is, both companies have great bodies, and lenses to choose from, and what its going to come down to for you is personal preferance and price.
  • 05-16-2007, 03:42 PM
    Frog
    It sounds as though you will be using your camra in some pretty rugged conditions and I would look for whichever one has the more rugged body that can stand up to some bumping and moisture conditions.
    I know a lot of people here use their cameras in many weather conditions but don't know any that would use these cameras going to base camp of Everest.
    I'd be really leary of my camera breaking down just when I have the photo op of a lifetime.
    Something to think about.
  • 05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
    prasad_p
    Go for:

Nikon D50
    Nikon 18-55mm ED II Kit lens
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D

This is just my opinion