Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Hi, I am looking for a nice SLR around $500.

Hello everyone. I'm sorta new to photography. I have a Sony 7.2megapixel point and shoot camera and I thought that if I wanted to take better pictures, I'd have to get an SLR! I am looking for a camera around $500 that will be used to make 4x6 and 8x11 and bigger pictures for videos and printing. I will mostly use it for taking pictures of nature, landscape, and my family members. I like taking pictures of the ocean and nature. I like to take relaxing photos that make you enjoy life. So please help me out by choosing a camera. Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Re: Hi, I am looking for a nice SLR around $500.

Read reviews online, go down to any store that has a camera in your price range and see what feels best. Then look at battery life, wieght, size, how easy it is to upgrade.. selection of accerories and lenses.. etc..

Well, are there any brands or camera to avoid?

Would the Canon PowerShot S3 IS be a good choice?
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 05-16-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Wait, thats not a SLR camera. Is SLR necessary?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You don't need an SLR to take great photos. I'm sure you have heard this before, but it's the photographer that makes a photo, not the camera. The S3 IS is a good camera from what I've read, and I have thought about getting one myself for a situations where I don't want to lug my SLR gear around.

Fisheggs has the right idea. Go to a shop and get your hands on different cameras, and see what you like.

As far as brand to stay away from, I can't think of any. I'm sure there are some off market cameras out there, but if you stick with the big names, like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji, and Casio I think you will get a pretty good quality camera.

Next time you go to the store, pick up a photo magazine or two. They have good reviews and comparisons between cameras. I just read an article in Outdoor Photographer where they were comparing 5 or 6 super zoom cameras like the S3, but I don't think the S3 was one of them. It would be a good place to start.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Here's a link to cameras under $600 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

You need to remember that the camera body is only the beginning so unless you're serious enough to budget for lenses and accessories, I would stick with one of the better non slr digital cameras.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

If you want to go DSLR, I've been very happy with my Nikon D50. It was just recently dropped from the Nikon line up after the D40x was introduced, so you should be able to find D50 kits for right around $500. One thing to keep in mind though is that you will be pretty limited on your zoom range with the kit lens so you may want to budget for another lens or 2.

If you're not quite ready for SLR, my Dad just got the new Olympus 550uz and has been very happy with it. One down side I noticed with it though is if you use auto modes for low light shots or get into the digital zoom range, there is A LOT of noise. You mentioned the S3 IS. While I've never tried this camera, it has gotten great reviews. To see what this camera is capable of, look no further than davidis' gallery: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=236373
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Oh. Then what DSLR should I get? I will look into the Nikon camera. Nikon or Canon is preferred? If not DSLR, then what camera should I get.

Think you need to research this a bit

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod
    Hello everyone. I'm sorta new to photography. I have a Sony 7.2megapixel point and shoot camera and I thought that if I wanted to take better pictures, I'd have to get an SLR! I am looking for a camera around $500 that will be used to make 4x6 and 8x11 and bigger pictures for videos and printing. I will mostly use it for taking pictures of nature, landscape, and my family members. I like taking pictures of the ocean and nature. I like to take relaxing photos that make you enjoy life. So please help me out by choosing a camera. Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!
    One thing catches my eye. A DSLR can't make videos. I hope you mean that you will make videos from still shots.

Otherwise the market leaders in DSLR's are Canon and Nikon. Don't forget that when you buy a DSLR you have to buy a lens as well (usually comes in a kit). For 500$ you won't quite find a current model (the Nikon D40 comes closest). Probably Nikon is a better bet because Canon have priced themselves out of the low end market.

When you've got a couple of models in view - do go into a camera store and try them out. See which one you understand better, which you feel more at home with.

Charles

I am thinking about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT w/ 50mm f/1.8 lenses. I was talking about still photo slide shows. Thanks for replying.

Just a 50mm? I hope you know what you're doing

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod
    I am thinking about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT w/ 50mm f/1.8 lenses. I was talking about still photo slide shows. Thanks for replying.
    You would buy just the 50mm? This seems very restricted to me. A 50mm on a Rebel XT is the equivalent of a 80mm in film terms - a weak telephoto. No wide-angle or normal view. Get a family group in the living room and you'll find that you can only get one or two people in the picture. Or in a landscape you can't take in the whole scene, just pick out details.

Personally I think people over-rate the usefulness of the 50mm on DSLR's. It was good on film cameras when it corresponded more or less to what the eye sees. I never use mine on my DSLR's. The 28mm has taken its place.

Charles

So which one would you specifically choose? 80mm in film? Isn't this a digital slr?

For $500 I would keep an eye out on Ebay. I got my D50 for $450 with the 28-80mm kit lens, 1GB memory card, all original boxes and paperwork, and a camera bag. It was like brand new with less than 500 shots on it. Or maybe just buy a used or refurbished body and shop around for a separate lens. I got a mint condition 35-135mm Nikon lens for $79 BIN on Ebay.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I don't really like Ebay.

Theres always the Pentax K100. Adorama can get you in one for under the $500 mark.

Thread Information