Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Nikon v Samsung

Nikon v Samsung

Hi, I considering by a new SLR camera, my choice is between Nikon D80 or Samsung GX-20, any advice which is better for me,( it will be my first SLR camera)
    kings regards

Re: Nikon v Samsung

Can you tell us more about how you plan to shoot with it? What kinds of subjects will you be shooting and what kind of stuff have you taken pictures of in the past? Also, what camera have you been using? Is there anything in particular that you haven't been able to do that you want you the DSLR to help you with?

The main difference between those two cameras is that by buying Nikon you'll be buying into one of the most respected SLR systems available. On the other hand, with the Samsung you'll be getting built-in image stabilization and a newer camera with 40% more resolution. The 14-megapixel Samsung only came out this spring and the Nikon D80 has been around for a couple of years now.

If you have big plans for your photography and would like to start investing in a pro system, the Nikon might be the way to go. However, the Samsung has a Pentax lens mount and can use all of the excellent Pentax lenses. I don't know that you'd actually be compromising much, if anything, by building a Pentax-based system. If this is your first DSLR and you're just learning and don't really have a preference, I think the Samsung might be a better choice for you. The built-in image stabilization will mean more usable photos in more conditions. And 40% more resolution can't hurt. The newer Samsung will likely also have better image quality at higher ISO sensitivity settings because that's one area that's improved a lot in the last couple of years.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Nikon v Samsung

Either is great, as your first camera there is pretty much no worries when it comes to choosing one or the other.

Personally i'd get the nikon d80, mostly because i have exp. in the system and lenses already. I have a slight fear about new manufacturers entering the megapixel race with their own additions, but if the samsung can use pentax lenses then that's one hell of a power block for their DSLR community.

Thread Information