Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Lens for Rebel XT

I am almost ready to make the plunge and get the Rebel XT camera. I have been thinking that I would just get the kit with the lens but I have read that this lens is really poor. Just how poor is this lens. I am just an average user. The reason I am going for an SLR camera is for the speed and clarity of the pictures.

If I were to just get the body and get a different lens, what would be recommended? I want to keep it cheap. There has got to be something out there that will satisfy my requirements. I don't understand the terms for the zoom of a lens but my current point and shoot camera (Canon A70) has a 3x zoom and I wouldn't mind something that is comparable or maybe a little more...maybe 5x. If I need a lens with much more zoom, I can always borrow a lens from my parents (75-300).

I hope this makes sense.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Lens for Rebel XT

Hey Jeff,

Nice to see another member from Wisconsin on the boards! I have the kit lens for the original DRebel, and I have found it to be a very capable lens for the money. If your looking for something with a little more range and at a reasonable price, you might want to check out the Canon EF 28-105mm. Below are a couple of links to the lens I'm talking about. Be sure to check out the reviews on this site. Lots of good info there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

its not fantastic, but when you consider youre only paying an extra $100, its a no-brainer.

get the lens, its decent...

wannabe

I am very disappointed with the kit lens. It is okay, but its really noisy, slow and not too great on clarity.

You can get a better lens, a Much better lens if you have an extra $100. If not, the kit lens is the way to go.
    My name is Scott, and I take pictures.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

I don't think that if I were you I would waste 100 dollars on the kit lens. My first SLR was an Rebel with a 28-80 zoom. It sucked. The lens on my Fuji Discover P&S was better. Why not do yourself a favor, pony up some extra cash and get at least the 17-85 IS lens. I have seen it compared to the 28-135 IS lens which I own and is very nice. You could also spend a bit more money and get the 17-40L f/4.0. This is the lens I have with my 20D and it is absolutely wonderful. The 28-105 lens mentioned below is indeed a nice one, but on an APS sized sensor, it just doesn't have that great of wide angle coverage.

For what it's worth, a nurse friend of mine was in the same quandary recently and she ended up with the 17-85. But only after taking some pictures with the kit lens, switching it out for my 17-40 and being blown away by the difference. She is very happy with the 17-85 and I think you would be too.

That said, some will say that it is not the equipment that matters, but the person behind it. There are few sayings more true than this one. So you may find that the softish kit lens is perfectly suited to you needs and anything more expensive would be overkill.

Regardless, hopefully you will post some of your resultant photos for us to enjoy and learn from.

Greg

wannabe

Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 EX DG
    You can get this lens for about $200 extra. IMO, if you are at all anal about quality, the kit lens will be a thorn in your side.
    My name is Scott, and I take pictures.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Thread Information