Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Archiving

Archiving

Click below for a duscussion about archiving over in viewfinder.

Digital shooters, how are you backing up?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

good timing

Sebastian,

I've been thinking about this issue a lot recently. My laptop is work-donated, and the hard drive is fairly small (20Gb). Even if I had a very large internal drive, I still choose to not store personal files on it. So I recently purchased an extrernal 120Gb drive (Western Digital). It stays at my home office, even when I bring my laptop around to the work office.

My thought is to essentially buy another duplicate drive to use as backup, in the exact same strategy as you've adopted. I can't think of another method that will store such a large volume of data (DVD, etc are out).

If there are any other suggestions out there for backup, bring them on!

-Stew

And I think one of the two posts on the digital site for this thread should be removed... or linked together so updates on one show up on the other too. Can that be done?

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    And I think one of the two posts on the digital site for this thread should be removed... or linked together so updates on one show up on the other too. Can that be done?
    Well,I posted the links so the original thread would get the discussion. THat way all he info could be kept in one thread. I think anything else is out of my power...PJ, anything you can do?

BTW, my external drive is the 250 gig Western Digital Media Center, front-button backup and 8-in-1 media reader, as well as Firewire/USB 2.0 connections and hubs.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information