• 03-30-2008, 03:07 PM
    Zars
    All shook up by the Sony a350
    Hello again guys,

I recently came to the conclusion I was going to buy the Canon EOS 400D with my birthday money on Saturday the 5th. However, this evening, when I look on the Jessops homepage I see the Sony Alpha 350.

Being the first time I had seen the camera, the specs are impressive. I'm not too fussed about the live view, the tilting screen does make live view slightly more useful (crowd shots etc), the 14.2 MP sensor with a 1.5 crop factor is alot better than the Canon. And the biggest plus is the Super Steady Shot.

Before, the biggest problem was that Sony didn't have a large range of accessories, in particular lenses, both third-party and Sony produced. But now, looking at Warehouse Express there is now a wide range of lenses, and several Sony ones made using Carl Zeiss lenses that have received good reviews.

Is the Sony Alpha 350 a good buy, even though its alot more than the Canon EOS 400D? I was previously told I couldn't go wrong with a modern body, but I wanted to check it through before looking to buy.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys,
    Zars

PS The Canon EOS 450D is a bit out of my price range, and it looks less equipped than the a350 anyway!
  • 03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
    rongarrett
    Re: All shook up by the Sony a350
    Look over in the Sony section for my opinions about the A350. I think you will use the "live view" more than you think after you see how easy it is.

I currently use the A350 with a battery grip and the Zeiss 16 - 80 F3.5 - 4.5 lens. IQ is very high. I highly recommend this camera.
  • 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
    zoomdaddy
    Hello, I have a question about the A350, have you had any problems with the AF. example would be when focusing and button half pressed does it lock on without being focused and will not focus but does let you take the picture (out of focus).. When this happens it does not beep or indicate being focused. hope that makes sense..
    Thanks
  • 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomdaddy
    Hello, I have a question about the A350, have you had any problems with the AF. example would be when focusing and button half pressed does it lock on without being focused and will not focus but does let you take the picture (out of focus).. When this happens it does not beep or indicate being focused. hope that makes sense..
    Thanks

You should probably repost your question as a new thread in the Sony forum. However, I am guessing there's a setting on the camera that will allow you to shoot when the camera is not focused. That's a setting in the menu on Canon DSLRs, anyway. You should have the option of setting the camera so it cannot take a picture if it isn't focused.