Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens

So...This camera shop guy tried to convince me yesterday that ultimately the Nikon D70 is more cost effective then the Digital Rebel.

Here is his logic.

With the digital rebel and the kit lense you will find your self immediatley buying at least a 50mm prime lense as well as a zoom lense. The cost of all of those lense would put you north of $1300. The nikon d70 kit comes with the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens which the camera person tried to tell me was such a higher quality lense (Not to mention it had F stops...which the Canon Does not) that this one lense could take the place of the three you would have to buy for the digital rebel (of course if you wanted L series lenses that was a differant story) Now the D70 with kit lense at 1299 is back in play

Do you folks agree with this persons logic, or is he just trying to sell me the more expensive camera

-Peplogic

P.S. I promise to stop boring this forum with Digital rebel Vs Nikon questions Very Soon!

:-)

Hi peplogic

I don't think money should be the issue - if you look at the D70 review at www.dpreview.com, there are significant performance differences. N70 wins hands down.

As for the cost, if I shop around I see all sorts of funny numbers. Some east coast stores sell the D70 for about $850 (body only) and don't even offer the 18-70 lens.
    I had a commercial studio for several years and thoiugh I didn't shoot mostly 35mm, I soon found that I hated zoom lenses, period. Most people love them, but they've never used a good single focus manual lens.
    You're salesman'e logic is only twisted if he says you have to buy several Canon lenses to equal the Nikon's 18-70.
    paul

my 2 cents

From what I have seen, the Nikon D70 is more capable and has more room to grow into than the Digital Rebel. I think that it is more comparable to the 10D and D100 class of camera (and arguably better- especially flash sync speed). I have some good Nikon lenses, so it is a no brainer decision for me now. If I was just starting out, I would still choose the D70 hands down over the Rebel. That said, the Rebel is a very good camera and we all should thank Canon for rushing out a sub $1000 dollar dSLR.

I also like prime lens, but I would get the kit lens for the D70. It is fine little lens (at a great price in the kit) and provides the 18mm (27mm equivalent) wide angle range which would be expensive to get latter. Also, there is the issue of dust on the sensor. Frequent lens changes is a bit more of an issue with dSLRs than 35 millimeter SLRs, so having the zoom for everyday shooting would be nice.

Either way though, I think you'll be happy.

Have fun!

Ok, the fact that he's trying to tell you that one lens has f-stops and the other doesn't should be clear indication that he either has no idea what the hell he's talking about or that he's trying to make a fool out of you.

Don't ever go back to him again. EVERY lens has f-stops, I don't even know where he might have been trying to go with that if it was a mistake.

Anyway, Nikon is more expensive in the long run, always has been, it's a big reason I switched. Canon lenses are cheaper and more feature-rich once you get into the higher-end stuff. In the mid to low-end, the price difference is minimal.

Either one will work. IF you don't see yourself going into too many lenses or accessories, then the D70 would be preffered. Otherwise my opinion is to go with Canon.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Haven't used either, but I've heard better reviews out of the D70 than the Rebel. The camera is $100 more, and for me that would be an easy decision. I wouldn't worry about buying a 50mm prime (at least as far as figuring out price goes) because either brand of 50mm f1.8 is excellent and under $100. I'd probably get one with either camera.

You are buying into either system though, which down the road will make you wonder from time to time if you made the right choice. Of course, you can switch from Nikon to Canon or vice-versa, but it's expensive and will take time to adjust to. If you stick to one of those two you'll be OK.

PS: Canon isn't always cheaper...

Thread Information