Advice please?

Printable View

• 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
    angrygoatface
    Advice please?
    I'm a boarding school student, and my parents recently told me that if I wanted to start up photography they'd pay for a camera. I want to take pictures of nature; landscapes as well as close up (I'm in a particularly beautiful part of Maine). Portrait capability is good too. I also need the ability to take monochrome photos. I'm pretty good at figuring things out (A+ and working on my MCSE, if you're wondering), so usability isn't really an issue. What equipment would you recommend?
  • 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM
    mn shutterbug
    Re: Advice please?
    The million dollar question is, how much are your parents willing to fork out for your camera?
  • 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
    angrygoatface
    Not a million dollars unfortunately :) Probably anything $1000 or under, but a little higher is ok (I can chip in.)
  • 10-01-2007, 10:44 PM
    Frog
    For the camera alone or camera and lenses?
  • 10-02-2007, 05:18 AM
    angrygoatface
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    For the camera alone or camera and lenses?

Camera and lenses. I know how to use eBay too.
  • 10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
    angrygoatface
    thewordbumpistooshortbump
  • 10-02-2007, 08:19 PM
    Frog
    I'm not sure what cameras are going for right now. The 3 that seem to fill the niche are the canon xti, nikon d80, or pentax k10d I think. With lenses they are all going to go over a thou but I think the k10d is the least expensive and a fine camera.
    If you'll read reviews here and elsewhere you might be able to narrow your choices down and tell us what ones you are thinking about getting.
  • 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM
    angrygoatface
    Is the D40 ok? Cause then I could get a better lens.
  • 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM
    deckcadet
    The D40 is a great camera especially if you're learning. Better lenses are always a great idea. The only minus about the D40 is lens compatibility, it doesn't have an internal focus motor so you have a more limited range of lenses you can use.
  • 10-03-2007, 04:32 AM
    angrygoatface
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deckcadet
    The D40 is a great camera especially if you're learning. Better lenses are always a great idea. The only minus about the D40 is lens compatibility, it doesn't have an internal focus motor so you have a more limited range of lenses you can use.

Can I use lenses without an internal focus motor manually, or will it give me an error?
  • 10-03-2007, 02:56 PM
    fx101
    You definitely can use non IF leneses on any of these cameras. Don't use manual focus lenses on an AF body though, you will lose metering and that becomes a real bummer. I would recommend the D80. It is a good camera to fork off from, definitely more so than the D40. There are a couple of choices you can look at for a lense. A popular choice is the 50mm f/1.8. It is a fast lens that you can shoot indoors, only problem is it is a prime, so you'll have to look at that. I personally bought a Sigma 15-30mm and have found that a great walkaround lens of excellent quality (unlike some other sigmas) and got it for around $290.
  • 10-03-2007, 05:04 PM
    Frog
    If you go Nikon, I won't hesitate to recommend the 18-135 lens which I got in a package deal with my d80. I'm guessing d80 and d200 prices will be dropping with intro of d300.
  • 10-03-2007, 05:22 PM
    angrygoatface
    What lens should I get for landscape photography (assuming I get a D40/x)?
  • 10-07-2007, 07:41 AM
    dante
    honestly, if you're going to be getting into photography classes, I'd avoid the D40/x cameras for the simple reason that you can't use a LOT of lenses, both Nikon and 3rd party. I'd check with your teacher/professor to see what types of photography you're going to be focusing on, and get a good prime for that focal length (and any of the Nikon primes won't work with the D40/x).

if you're set on the D40/x, Sigma just came out with an HSM version of its 18-50mm Macro, but it's supposed to be 5-600 when it finally comes out.

hope this helps?
  • 10-07-2007, 09:01 AM
    Frog
    For landscapes most of what I hear is wider angle lenses which make sense for wide landscapes. I prefer zoom lenses for landscapes with something in the 18 to 200 mm range but that won't cover all situations either.
    Sometimes I don't want the wide view and want to select a small portion of the scene and then I will zoom in on the portion I want in the shot.
  • 10-07-2007, 09:11 AM
    angrygoatface
    How's the lens that comes with the Digital Rebel XTi?
  • 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM
    EOSThree
    Two Pennies
    Here's my $.02.
    Why not take a good look at the Rebel XT? It's selling for under $500 new right now, it's fully compatible with all of Canon's lenses, and it's a more than adequate photographic tool. Sure it's not the latest/greatest, but takes the same quality of photography as a 20/30D. That will leave you over $500 for lenses, which should get you a couple of good consumer grade lenses to start.

As for your Monochrome requirement, that is done in post processing, SLRs usually don't have a B&W mode. A wide angle lens is generally considered the lens for landscape, although I have been very happy with 17mm(which is WA but a lot will recommend something even wider), portraiture is best done with a short telephoto, in the 80mm range. Remember most DSLRs have a sensor that's smaller than the frame on a piece of 35mm film, this results in a crop factor of 1.5 or 1.6x. This means the field of view of a given lens is multiplied by those factors. A 50mm lens will have the field of view of approximately 80mm lens so a 50mm lens isn't a bad portrait lens on a DSLR.

Check the reviews on this site and sites like Photozone to help with your lens buying decisions.
    With your budget I would say get the XT kit with the maligned 18-55 lens(it's not that bad of a lens, just needs to be stopped down) and a 28-135 IS. That should cover you to start and then you'll start to see what you like and where your future needs lie.
  • 10-07-2007, 04:12 PM
    angrygoatface
    Re: Two Pennies
    Allright, Canon DR XT vs. Nikon D40. I'm torn, what should I do?
  • 10-07-2007, 05:16 PM
    EOSThree
    Torn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by angrygoatface
    Allright, Canon DR XT vs. Nikon D40. I'm torn, what should I do?

Go somewhere you can handle the cameras, buy the one that feels the best to you. The XT/XTi have virtually the same body so they will feel the same in your hand. I currently have a 10D and an XT. I have not felt at all hampered by the small grip on the XT and I have average size hands.

The Nikon is crippled a little by not having the mechanical focus drive pin, this means it will only auto focus with AF-I or AF-S lenses. This of course limits your lens selection, but if you are happy with the internal motor lenses the D40x looks like a great camera.