• 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM
    Fitchmatt
    Advice on choosing a SLR (Specifics Included)
    I would appriciate a bit of advice on some cameras that I should be looking at. These are my specifics: A camera for use in taking a lot of scenery and wildlife shots. Something that won't snap if I drop it. A camera that is at least small enough that in a bag with lenses & tripod it doesn't require wheels. :wink5: Value is a concern for me, I don't want to spend more then 1000 - 1400 on the body alone. And lastly something that takes excellent overexposure pictures (if possible) because I love night shots.

Any advice would be appriciated! Thank you,

Fitch
  • 05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
    Anbesol
    Re: Advice on choosing a SLR (Specifics Included)
    the 20D/30D should suit your needs well...
  • 05-19-2006, 01:33 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitchmatt
    Something that won't snap if I drop it.

Even heavily-built "pro" grade bodies can end up with serious damage if dropped...
  • 05-19-2006, 01:36 PM
    masdog
    Hi Fitch. What is your overall budget? That will determine what you should spend on a body, since you will have difficulty finding a system that has a sturdy body for under $1000.
  • 05-29-2006, 04:10 PM
    photofun
    Quote:

I would appriciate a bit of advice on some cameras that I should be looking at. These are my specifics: A camera for use in taking a lot of scenery and wildlife shots. Something that won't snap if I drop it. A camera that is at least small enough that in a bag with lenses & tripod it doesn't require wheels. :wink5: Value is a concern for me, I don't want to spend more then 1000 - 1400 on the body alone. And lastly something that takes excellent overexposure pictures (if possible) because I love night shots.

Fitch

Nikon D-70 a nice choice as well. I've taking mine snowboarding, (Luckily I have not fallen during this excursion.) hiking, in 80 degree and below zero weather. Good overall performance and quality.
  • 05-29-2006, 11:58 PM
    deckcadet
    I have to second the d70. I've dropped mine, abused mine, and more...with the exception of breaking the locking catch onthe popup flash (which works fine) it has performed admirably. I've even taken it outside during hurricanes with no ill effects. Go figure.
  • 05-30-2006, 07:59 AM
    mwfanelli
    Quote:

Fitch

Wildlife requires large lenses, 300mm at an absolute minimum. A 400mm lens is even better. I'd recommend a Canon Rebel or Nikon D50 with the rest of your money invested in top quality (i.e., expensive) lenses.
  • 05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
    deckcadet
    Ditto what Michael Fenelli said above...a light body will serve you well if you have good glass. You won't get around size of lenses if you need good quality.
    IMHO the D50 feels better than the Rebels.