Advice on buying used SLR

Printable View

• 05-24-2011, 06:43 AM
    rickbragan
    Advice on buying used SLR
    Hi Folks,

I am a newby to the world of photography but am ready to jump in and get started. Problem is I don't have the $600+ to buy a new (low end) SLR. I found a used Nikon D60 (10.2 mp) on craigslist for $250.00 and was wondering if that is a good deal. Can anyone give me some advice as to whether it is? I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Rick
  • 05-24-2011, 08:12 AM
    Anbesol
    Re: Advice on buying used SLR
    Welll craigslist is not the *best* place for that, however, if you know what you are doing and you're able to examine the camera before you purchase it, that would help make things safe.

KEH.com is a standard bearer of used DSLR pricing, they have the Nikon D60 (body only), when in "like new" condition, marked at $350. In "Excellent" condition, marked at $330. Assuming the craigslist nikon is somewhere around "excellent" to "like new" condition, thats a pretty good deal. If it has a lens (probably kit) an even better deal.

You should be able to find a Canon 30D for a similar price, or the 20D for even less. Those should provide a more useful interface, and a more rugged, durable body. Olympus has some used bodies available at very inexpensive prices as well, like the E510. I think those would be better used options.
  • 05-24-2011, 08:45 AM
    rickbragan
    Re: Advice on buying used SLR
    Thanks for the reply Anbesol. That is good information and I will take it all into consideration. From what I can tell (from KEH.com and other sites) it is a good deal. So as long as it is legit, I think I'll go for it.